Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 217

58L8134, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: V8 Rebuilding
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
john go to the packard panther project, craigs site,,it is there,,kev full flow

Posted on: 2013/7/8 23:51
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I almost hate to print this, but the only time my '55 Patrician's engine gave me valve clatter was when I first started her up after a 30 year nap. I did run the starter w/o plugs for a bit to get oil everywhere critical but aside from that one time, my V8 has been amazingly quiet.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 0:58
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Here's a direct link to the full flow oil filter conversion:

http://www.1956packardpanther.com/PV8C/PV8C_FFOFC.html

It is NOT a bolt on, but something you'd do during an overhaul as the engine must be completely disassembled and then modified. Several guys besides KevinAZ have done this and I've done it on my Panther engine.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/7/9 2:51
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Jim L Quote:
...but aside from that one time, my V8 has been amazingly quiet.

Until one day it's not. That's what happened with my 55 Pat. Hopefully, you'll be lucky like me and have it happen right before I was driving into my garage instead of many miles away. The fix was the Olds oil pump conversion.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/7/9 2:53
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Thanks guys, but I'm certainly not planning any time soon on an engine rebuild, not while she's running well anyway. I like the idea but it'll just have to wait until the time is right. Cheers, JP

Posted on: 2013/7/9 3:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Craig wrote:
Jim L Quote:
...but aside from that one time, my V8 has been amazingly quiet.

Until one day it's not. That's what happened with my 55 Pat. Hopefully, you'll be lucky like me and have it happen right before I was driving into my garage instead of many miles away. The fix was the Olds oil pump conversion.

Craig

When I had my mechanic do the like 50,000 mile check up stuff and drop & clean the oil pan he said the oil pump on the car was not OEM (no vacuum pump side). I'm going to have to check with Randy C. who bought it from the original family, if he changed it out but I doubt it. So it must have been done during that blank spot I have from 1972 to 1985. Currently my oil pressure is "OK" and I keep one eye on the gauge, but the next time the pan drops an Olds unit from Jack is goin in.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 11:57
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

JP wrote:
...Cleaning the cannister at filter change time is a pain in the proverbial also. Thanks, John

JP you can fit a remotely mounted oil filter that will take a modern spin on element. This will still be a by-pass type, but it will be easier to service. It can be mounted down low on the engine so it will be accessible from below while changing the oil. It will not be authentic, but will address your concern. Also be sure to use proper fittings and lines. Save the original filter housing and hardware for the next owner should they not like the modification.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/9 12:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Thanks JW, that sounds more like something I can do. Is there a kit for that or did you make up something yourself? Now that I going to be held up for awhile sorting out the rear uni joint, this might be a project to get stuck into in the meantime. Cheers, John

Posted on: 2013/7/12 1:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
JP, I do not have a remotely located oil filter on my 55 Clipper. The previous owner had one installed for the same reasons you cite. I had the original oil filter assembly reinstalled when I bought the car. I did this for two reasons: For the original/authentic look; and the sump function of the filter housing. The gunk that collects in the bottom of the housing is a good thing in that it does not get circulated in the oiling system. Yes, it is a job to clean out the housing, but to me the function it serves more than out weighs the work involved in cleaning it from time to time.

I feel differently about the oil bath air cleaners and have modern pleated paper filter elements in my Packards.

The remotely mounted oil filter kits should be available from good parts sellers (NAPA, etc.).

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/12 11:01
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
another,

my dad put a 12 inch luber-finer in line to the org filter.. i think it comes out of dist area, like kevs, but not lower like kev did.

its been years since i checked my dads,,but i think that is how he did it..

he put the luber-finer on fender near gen,,

Posted on: 2013/7/13 1:07
Riki
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved