Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 108

TxGoat, Ozstatman, BDeB, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: V8 pistons
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
You'll find application listings in the parts book for export applications. However, except for the speedo head being available in KPH for 55 and 56, they're not very clear or consistent.

For example, there are Canadian/export listings for shocks on 55th Series models; STB 55T-42 also recommends these same units for heavy-duty use (in domestic applications). However, while 56th Series shows heavy-duty shocks, there's no mention of Canadian or export.

Meanwhile, H-D torsion bars are shown for 56th Series only, with no mentions of export.

The only mention of low compression (ratio) equipment that I found was shims for both cylinder head AND intake manifold, but without specific mention of Canadian or export use.

There's an export tool shown for both for 55 and 56, but is that part of 'Special Export Equipement' and all that the package includes?

I could add the aforementioned export codes to the end of the 56th Series chart and ask BigKev to post another revised PDF, but I'd hate to back same codes into the 55th Series chart without additional, supporting documentation of that year.

I'm open to creating/revising such charts for prior years/Series, as well - provided somebody comes up the bona fide docuements.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 18:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That Carib mentioned in posts #9 and 10 of this thread is 5699-1203 and was much-discussed on this forum some years back. It carries a "D code" on the build slip/shipping order meaning it was re-designated 3 times, the only such Carib as far as I know though there are many that were redesignated twice. And it did have a special order interior. When it was redesignated the last time the only export equipment it retained were the heavy duty shock absorbers and the compression-lowering cylinder head shims, this according to the 56 Caribbean build-slip analysis published in TPC, Autumn 1987.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 19:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Thanks for the replies.
I still wonder how many engines were low compression? I know there were engine codes by series, was there one for export/low compression?

OD I can not find the discussion, on this site about the car, but I have the PAC Cormorants look at.

Posted on: 2014/1/3 22:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
WC,

Does your car have the original engine in it?

According to a document I have, and is probably on this site, (I could not find it here) dated 4-16-56;

"Export engines starting with 55th series have XH stamped on block between V just back of the water pump. Same location that Conners stamp engine number"

Can you see this mark stamped on your engine?

Posted on: 2014/1/3 22:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Is there any data on standard compression vrs low compression engines?

Would someone think their engine is wrong because it was a low compression engine? Is there that much difference between low and standard measurements?

Were there low compression export straight 8 engines? Is there data for the difference between the 2?

Posted on: 2014/1/4 11:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
According to parts catalouge april 56 export pjstons are listed for 5540 ONLY. NO EXPORT listed for anything else 55 nor 56. Low compression listed for wverything EXCEPT 5540.

This begs the question: Only 5540 engines were exported regardless of model of car. Or to put it another way: very likes a 56 Carib for export got a 5540 engine 320cid!?????

Posted on: 2014/1/4 12:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Were there low compression export straight 8 engines? Is there data for the difference between the 2?

The export in-line eights of the postwar era that were offered with lower compression, this was typically accomplished with an extra-thick head gasket. These are listed in the parts listings and called "Extra thick and Export" gaskets. Check the 48-54 master parts list (5.0504) and you'll see them listed.

They also appear in parts listings for other years. For example in the 35-41 parts list they show both extra thick (0.091" vs 0.060") as well as Export gaskets - different part numbers for both. In yet earlier years (for example 1933-36 Seniors) the engine themselves were offered in several compression ratios and perhaps the lower CRs were used for export cars to countries with marginal gasoline quality. Again just using 33-34 as an example, the engines were offered in 6.0, 6.25, 6.5, and 7.0.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 14:09
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

WC
See User information
After scraping along the stamped motor number, I cannot find anything but 5682- 4747. However, I did find something interesting: the bottom layer of paint is Ivory. I used to have a '55 Patrician and this looks VERY familiar. I cannot get to the back of the motor for a casting date, due to health problems. Is there anything on the heads (number wise)that might be of significance? I have the valve covers off at the moment...

Posted on: 2014/1/4 14:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Keith -

I completely missed those low compression and export pistons. Yet, there are no listings for complete engines, short blocks, or even 'cylinder and piston' assemblies to service export or low compression applications.

Now, go back and look at the applications for the aforementioned shims. While a single intake manifold shim are covers all models, the two cylinder head shims (55 vs. 56) exclude the 5540 chassis, with 320-cid motor. It doesn't make sense to me that you'd need a shim for the intake if none were used for the head.

I can't believe that they would have only put a 320-mill in all models for export.

In fact, a road test of a 56 Clipper Custom (clearly showing RHD) published in the British magazine, Autocar, specs the engine displacement at "5,768 c.c. (352 cu. in.)". Another article (from an unspecified publication) features a 55 Clipper, but specs displacement as "5,243 c.c.", which equates to 320 cu. in. (rounded).

These articles are included as part of a collection of reprints in Brooklands' Packard Gold Portfolio - a title listed in this site's Bookshelf reference.

Meanwhile, I doubt if the parts catalog information was compiled or even maintained by just one person, which might account for some inconsistencies, though not necessarily such conflicting info.

Is it possible, then, that they were using the terms low compression and export interchangeably or was 'low compression' equipment offered for domestic as well as export models?

Posted on: 2014/1/4 14:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
WC -

If there's no XH code on the build slip, it wouldn't be stamped on the engine. So, your (previously) export vehicle wasn't built with low compression equipment.

Meanwhile, perhaps this post by member Ross (Miller):

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=96617#forumpost96617

...explains the bottom layer of 'ivory' paint that you found.

Posted on: 2014/1/4 14:25
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved