Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 103

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: driving a Clipper Custom 700 miles
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Keep an eye and an ear open during the trip. Most serious problems will present via Temp / Oil / Generator lights or via a noise.

It pays to check under the bonnet when you stop for a coffee etc. Just check your oil level early and mid-way, plus do check your brake fluid level before you leave. These are only standard procedures anyway, before any long trip.

You are likely to have a great drive in a great car!

Posted on: 2014/7/4 19:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Take a few shorter trips first. If the car has been out of commission, start with a 10 or 20 mile trip, if all goes well, work up to 50, 100 miles or more.

This will work out most bugs. If you can go out for a saturday jaunt of 100 miles with no distress, it should go 700.

It goes without saying that you should check it over carefully, replace iffy parts especially spongy rad hoses, mummified heater hoses, threadbare fan belts etc. And, be sure you have fresh oil, coolant, etc.

Posted on: 2014/7/4 20:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I would have to agree with Larry51. Check water, oil and brakes before you go. I like to carry water hoses and fan belts - the only time I've ever needed one in 55 years of driving was when there wasn't one in the trunk!

Posted on: 2014/7/4 22:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
A fire extinguisher...and, yes, I learned the hard way.

Posted on: 2014/7/4 23:53
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved