Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 204

Gary Kulp, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Ignition switch ground
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
BE CAREFUL in trying to bend the tabs. The zinc diecast is very brittle and if the chrome looks cracked or crazed the tabs will break off with the least little effort. Frequently just vibration and pressure from the spring is enough to do it. Once they break off the tabs cannot be reattached so bezel itself cannot be repaired without some extra material over the bezel to replace and duplicate the function. Because of the size of the hole in dash it has to be in the form of something removable that can be installed and fastened in position once the bezel is thru the dash.

Contact with the dash won't help with any internal problems in the switch. As was mentioned, the ground does nothing except work the bulb. The ignition switch type used from 54-56 with the key start was relatively weak compared to the earlier switches and failures are somewhat common. Part of the issue in the senior cars is the large pinion shift starter solenoid draws a considerable amount of current thru the switch. The starter portion is frequently the place where issues arise. Someone mentioned Packard recommended installing a relay to handle the current but I personally don't recall seeing that bulletin. Would appreciate if someone has the bulletin and can post it.

Overall, whIle I haven't found any actual Packard supplied ratings for the switch I do believe based on other switches common to the time and fuse ratings Packard specified for various items, the amps that are continuously running thru the switch is probably at about maximum it can handle. The contacts are stressed and probably run hot. The contacts are embedded in plastic so any heat would soften and could warp or change positions and make the problem worse. Switch life is reduced accordingly.

New switches are still available -- but expensive -- and I think one of the vendors might have rebuilts. Have not heard good info on how reliable the rebuilds are though.

Posted on: 2015/12/24 21:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Ignition switch ground
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I know some people who have wired in a relay, which takes the load off the ignition switch. It's the same theory as using a relay for the headlights.... Plenty of cars ignition switches are getting old, and removing The current from them preserves them a little longer.

Posted on: 2015/12/26 8:28
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1953 Caribbean, 1969 912, 1990 Miata
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved