Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 164

Don 37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: PCV Anyone?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yes, but it is still restricted a lot more than the stock filler cap on a Packard is.

Posted on: 2010/8/5 8:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Turbopackman wrote:
I used a rubber grommet from a 1965-66 Buick 401 0r 425 valve cover, the one on the front left valve cover.

hammy... this is so great! Not only does your installation look very clean and workable, the rubber grommet you used was made originally for covering the installation hole on the valve cover for PCV on the Buicks that were not so equipped. All the covers were stamped the same, and those that did not receive PCV got the ol' grommet. I had a '65 Electra 225 with the 401 and the grommet. Got around to asking about its purpose over on the Buick boards at AACA and sure enough, someone explained why it was there.

That said, it looks like a lot of interesting work done out there... and some motivation to find the best way to do it.

I really think the little breather inside the air cleaner worked not only to allow filtered air into the crankcase, but also to move gases back into the carb at road speeds, when there is a vacuum produced inside the air cleaner and the crankcase pressure goes up. Anyone who has had this old setup has seen that a little bit of oil often pools in the bottom of the air cleaner housing, and also a black spot forms on the air filter itself, opposite the hole. I think what this hole really does is allow the pressure in the crankcase to self-balance for different engine RPMs and manifold pressures. No timing changes required! No vacuum leaks!

Any engineer types out there who can verify this please speak up. I think it would be an important part of any PVC installation.

BTW, as far as an engine being "designed for" PVC, as far as I know there are NO internal manufacturing differences of PVC and non-PVC equipped engines. For example, the Buick 401/425: Identical engines came both ways. I think the only reason for deleting the PVC system was cost-- if it wasn't mandated, why give away such a nice "win-win" accessory? Damn gummint improving our cars again.

Posted on: 2010/8/5 19:05
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
55PackardGuy wrote:

Quote:
I really think the little breather inside the air cleaner worked not only to allow filtered air into the crankcase, but also to move gases back into the carb at road speeds, when there is a vacuum produced inside the air cleaner and the crankcase pressure goes up. Anyone who has had this old setup has seen that a little bit of oil often pools in the bottom of the air cleaner housing, and also a black spot forms on the air filter itself, opposite the hole. I think what this hole really does is allow the pressure in the crankcase to self-balance for different engine RPMs and manifold pressures. No timing changes required! No vacuum leaks!

I'm no engineer, but not sure that this is entirely correct.

What you're describing, in this case, is a closed PCV system, and I'll agree that, when the PCV valve is closed, a closed sytem is designed to accept excess crankcase vapors, through the air cleaner, that would have otherwise been expelled into the atmosphere with the earlier, open systems.

However, the presence of liquid oil in the air cleaner, coming from the breather, could be a sign of trouble.

A clogged PCV valve or collapsed PCV hose would cause too much crankcase vapor to go the wrong way through the breather. Excessive blow-by in the engine, for any variety of other reasons, would also cause this.

Posted on: 2010/8/6 9:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

BH wrote:
55PackardGuy wrote:

Quote:

I'm no engineer, but not sure that this is entirely correct.

What you're describing, in this case, is a closed PCV system, and I'll agree that, when the PCV valve is closed, a closed sytem is designed to accept excess crankcase vapors, through the air cleaner, that would have otherwise been expelled into the atmosphere with the earlier, open systems.

However, the presence of liquid oil in the air cleaner, coming from the breather, could be a sign of trouble.

A clogged PCV valve or collapsed PCV hose would cause too much crankcase vapor to go the wrong way through the breather. Excessive blow-by in the engine, for any variety of other reasons, would also cause this.

You are absolutely correct, sir. The little collection of oil and the oil-stained air filter opposite the breather are both signs of blow-by. A good way to check for this condition. But I didn't want to alarm anyone because these conditions are almost normal. It doesn't take much blow-by to, over time, show these signs. After all, withness how often the smoke from the draft tube has a bluish tint.

Posted on: 2010/8/9 18:35
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
OK, I tried a hatchet-job cut 'n' paste move of this thread to the Modifications forum, but it's a mess.

I think that would be an appropriate place for it, if it can be picked up and moved wholesale.

Posted on: 2010/9/11 16:26
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved