Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 201

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: South Western US and Air Conditioning.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure which model either but looks like maybe a 60 series. Did the compressor look similar to this or was it a smaller but longer version.

Those first Frigidaire systems had an interesting temp control. A real mercury thermostat in a glass tube which worked an electrical contact when the column of mercury raised or lowered. To change temp, the operator turned a rheostat which worked a heater on the mercury bulb. The more cold you wanted, the heater would heat the bulb more so the unit had to stay on longer to overcome the heat and thus the air got colder. Later Cadillac versions got rid of the mercury and went to regular mechanical thermostats but still used the heater setup on the sensing tube for awhile.

In Packards version AC was a neck freezer because the air blew out the package shelf directly at the rear passengers neck and head. Maybe that's why those cars were equipped with a lap robe rail. For the front passengers to be comfortable, anyone sitting in the back needed a muffler or blanket to wrap around the shoulders and neck.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.98 KB)
209_4fd3dce451983.jpg 400X439 px

Posted on: 2012/6/9 17:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Very interesting info, Howard.

I'm not sure if that was the one; I don't remember seeing all of that junk all over the top and front of it. But it was pretty big.

Posted on: 2012/6/12 20:33
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
The A/C compressor in my '66 cadillac is pretty big. Maybe the owner put on a unit from a newer cadillac?

Attach file:

jpg  (74.87 KB)
508_4fd7f73c4ea9d.jpg 721X1280 px

Posted on: 2012/6/12 21:13
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe that's the A6 which started around the mid - late 50's. IMO, one of the best and most trouble free compressors made. GM used them for years until the fuel economy and smaller engine era finally caused them to go to something lighter & shorter with less drag on the engine. Many other mfgs also bought and used them during their heyday.

Posted on: 2012/6/12 21:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I've had one '65 several '66 Cadillacs and the one in your picture was what was on all of them. The A6 was used by FMC on the Lincolns in the mid to late '70s as well. I never had one go bad. Clutches, yes, compressors, no.

Posted on: 2012/6/12 21:40
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I live in Phoenix AZ and the temperature has been over 110 degrees already this year and can go as high as 120 but 115 to 118 is not uncommon.

Most of us use refrigerated A/C; my 1600 square house has a 3.5 Ton split system.

The A/C systems are often package units which can operate as a heat pump or have a gas fired furnace as we can get into the 30's in the winter.

Some people use "Swamp Coolers" until the temp gets over 100 degrees or the humidity goes up in the Monsoon season We have two stage swamp coolers that work fairly well.

My 1954 Packard Cavalier has Add-On air conditioning which I am in the process of perfecting.

Jim

Posted on: 2012/6/14 19:42
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved