Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
263 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 261

flackmaster, Soybeanfarmer1 , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 18 »

Re: 37 will turn over but not fire.
Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Clipper/Owen-Dyn/JW

thanks

carb kit didnt arrive today...so it was back to reading.
Yeah,JW, it was to compensate for the level or quality of gas at the time. But since the Quality is much better than say the 30's or 20's..I think it is prudent. to set everything back to a 'base line', like setting the Fuel Compensator back to '0'. Per manual instructions and the National Motor Manual for 1925-1937. I had also set the points to .017 but going back to .015 per Packard Owners Manual. Also I'm gonna check the plg gap again..Packard Owners manual says .028 if I recall, mine are set at .025

Posted on: 2009/11/2 18:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
well im back unfortunatley...carb kit arrived yesterday
got two days to get disassembled Carb off kitchen table(where we eat) before Mrs comes home from Orlando..yikes..

Anyway..Remember i turned my attention to the Carb from electrical, at least temporarlily when I found out the carb was leaking like a sieve. into manifold area and on to garage floor, and not from overcranking which i thought was just flooding, until clipper told me to check the plugs which i did and they were dry..(light bulb went off, ..check Carb.

Anyway here is what i have so far found in dissaseembly...the needle seat(point) was broken or worn down allowing fuel to engulf the bowl and flow over.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.09 KB)
623_4af22cf07e692.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/11/4 20:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That would certainly lead to a fuel leak! And a failure mode I've never seen or heard of or would even comtemplate. Very strange indeed, if only parts could speak to us and tell their stories.

But that apparent remnant of a needle doesn't look right either - some home-made part maybe?

Posted on: 2009/11/4 20:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Yes if the needle point broke off it would should be at the bottom of the fuel bowl. I have never seen or heard of a needle breaking like that!

Posted on: 2009/11/4 21:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Clipper and Owen-D

below is old and new point..my neighbor and I rebulit it 10 years ago..but Im beggining to think the the needle was too small for the seat..therefore a wobbling effect resulting in wear or at the least no seating at all..

the new one is spot on as there is very little movement of the needle in the seat laterally therefore allowing the needle to be seated properly

Attach file:

jpg  (21.24 KB)
623_4af2467c153e4.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/11/4 22:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
??? do you think with modern gasoline that maybe it disolved the needle rubber point over time?? hmmm

Posted on: 2009/11/4 22:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
do you think with modern gasoline that maybe it disolved the needle rubber point over time??

I don't think that "dissolved" is quite the right word, more like degraded to mush, but yes, I'd say that is what most likely happened.

Posted on: 2009/11/4 23:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Clipper/Owen-D

You know guys, I hate to admit this, but I re-examined the old needle..It appears the rubber needle has a 'wear point' dead center..10 years ago, when re-assembling either me or my neighbor put the float needle upside down. the reverse end is slightly rounded...it was setting against the outside of the seat and not inside the seat as designed. So as a result the rubber point on the needle was against the float lever all these years..It always smelled somewhat rich..it was prob flooding slightly even then.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 8:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
need help on reassembly of the carter wa 1 477 s used on sixes 1937 thru 1942's i suppose the 120 carters would be similar

got rebuiliding kit and ready to put back together but cant remember if the meterrod arm goes over or under cam lever arm
see photo below pointing out with an ice pic. metering rod arm to right of ice pick and cam arm to left..

when i install the metering rod the weight and spring from the metering rod holds the it up in the air...in otherwords what moves the meter rod up and down.. maybe somebody could remove their dust cover on carb and check to see where arm is located..thanks guys

Attach file:

jpg  (36.44 KB)
623_4af36af62e442.jpg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2009/11/5 19:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
The metering rod is pulled down by a vacuum piston. The cam lever should be under the piston rod if my diagrams of the WA-1 are correct

Posted on: 2009/11/5 19:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved