Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 16 17 18 (19) 20 21 22 ... 72 »

Re: 51Packard's....51 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks Randy. I definately don't need 100 of them, but if my maintenance guy at work is ordering from them, I may add them to his order.

BigKev, I'm doing exactly as you recommended in your blog. I'm using standard connectors and cutting the plastic off and heat shrinking them. I did notice that my harness does not really have heat shrinking on the connections. They are open. Very strange. Did your kit from Harbor Freight have these kinds of connectors in them (see pic)? I tried Ace, Home Depot, Menards and Radio Shack and no one has them. They connect the wire to the voltage regulator (as well as some other areas).

Attach file:

jpg  (2.29 KB)
508_4cd2a2d226efe.jpg 92X64 px

Posted on: 2010/11/4 7:11
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
11-04-10

Way too cold to work outside for the next couple of days so I have been plugging along on the harness. Skipping the flag connectors for now until I figure out how I want to do it. I could just put straight connectors on it, I could order some from McMaster Carr or maybe they will turn up somewhere else.

I see a problem with the Sharpie tracer system. The temp sending unit is blue with 2 yellow tracers. There is no way the yellow will show up on the wire. I could put some of the white marker down and yellow over it. Not sure if that would work or even look decent. Otherwise, I may just make it a plain blue wire.

Now that I have a few more wires done, and I'm wrapping my head around the harness better, it is becoming somewhat fun. Lets see how long that lasts!

Oh, and thanks BigKev for posting the how to with the crimp connectors on your blog. Mine were becoming triangles until I reread your posts and realized I wasn't putting the bump on the crimper at the seam to form the two barrels. Working a lot better now.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 21:32
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't think the flag terminals are used often enough to be available at the common stores--at least I don't remember seeing them. McMaster with the $10 for 100 or 30? each at Rhode Island wiring or YnZ's are about the options. What are you planning for the wrap?

Posted on: 2010/11/4 22:01
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My harness didn't have any of the type of connectors on them.

Posted on: 2010/11/4 22:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks guys. I may just try to open and reuse the connectors or cut the wire close to the terminal and put a butt connector on it and concealing with heat shrink.

HH56, I was going to use low temp rated electrical tape to wrap the harness. Only thing I could think of to use.

Posted on: 2010/11/5 8:21
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Electrical tape is what I used on the first one and found it leaves a bit to be desired. Looks great when first applied but after the heat gets to it a bit, the adhesive starts to ooze out and makes the tape unwind and become sticky in places. Also found it makes harness very stiff since there is no sliding action to allow the wires to move when trying to bend.

There are some low or no adhesive harness tapes made for the purpose if you can find them locally. This type just has the end tuck under the final wrap to secure and nothing to ooze or stick. There are many brands but here are some examples.

http://www.tapebrothers.com/Black-Dry-Vinyl-Tapes-p/dvt76b2.htm

http://www.ronshomeandhardware.com/682894-75x100Black-Harness-Tape-p/810616.htm?click=1014

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180570404815&crlp=1_263602_304652&ff4=263602_304652&viewitem=&guid=800279611150a0413ad36263fffeae8e&hlp=false&rvr_id=163544719083&ua=M*F%3F&itemid=180570404815

Posted on: 2010/11/5 9:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks HH56. Never saw that kind of tape before. I guess it works like cling wrap, only adhering to itself? Is that what OEM was? Some places on my harness were sticky while others just unwound. I didn't think of heat affecting the electrical tape. My biggest problem with electrical tape was having it fail when the temps go too low.

Posted on: 2010/11/5 11:53
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
The thing to remember about the non-adhesive electrical tape is that you have to stretch it a little to activate it. Otherwise, it won't stick to itself. It does work good though, I've used it without any problems and it's lasted years for me.

Posted on: 2010/11/5 12:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Can't find that harness tape anywhere. I picked up the attached pic, but I am going to return it because it was $9.99 for only 16ft. Seems like it stretches too much too. They also had friction tape, but that was cloth so it wouldn't look right. Looks like I will order it online from one of the links HH56 provided. Finally found the white Sharpie too. Hobby Lobby and Office Max didn't have it. Found it at Ace Hardware of all places!

Attach file:

jpg  (25.89 KB)
508_4cd5c0b22513c.jpg 500X500 px

jpg  (100.48 KB)
508_4cd5c284d2fec.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/11/6 16:03
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I bought my harness tape at Oreilly's, in their electrical section.

Posted on: 2010/11/6 17:11
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 16 17 18 (19) 20 21 22 ... 72 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved