Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
306 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 303

DMS_WG, Owen_Dyneto, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 42 »

Re: 1956 Clipper Hot Rod
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Very pretty, Al. Since this was a retrofit front, I'm wondering if the golden mesh behind the grill is another distinction between the Executive and the regular Senior front clips. In other words, can it pass as an Exec front clip with a '55 Caribbean hood, or is it definitely a senior front grill assembly? Also kind of wondering about the chrome headlight doors... were these available instead of the black I've seen on most '56s?

How do the '55 hood line up with the '56 fenders? It's hard to tell from the pic, but would be interesting to know. For my money, I like the '55 hood carryover with the more prominent sculpted stampings on the sides. Yep, the hot rod includes just about every styling cue I like between '55 and '56, 'cept maybe for the eyebrow job.

And you can go with the '56 style badge with no ornament. I always thought the '55 Carib needed something up there, but the other '56 seniors and the Exec look 'busy' with both the badge and the ornament. The choice is yours. I'd go with the badge, for the pure and simple look.

Posted on: 2010/3/8 1:01
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
I am not sure what I am going to do. For the time being, I think I am going to leave it alone. Where it is at now I only have the some chrome to put back on and the door handles. From there on it's the interior. Then to work on making sure it runs good enough to take to Gettysburg.

Posted on: 2010/3/9 8:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
It really doesn't need anything looking from the front--very clean. It'll be fun to see more angles.

Posted on: 2010/3/9 23:03
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
As soon as this bloody rain lets up I plan on getting it out of the garage, mounting the wheels covers, the rest of the chrome, and the door handles. Then I will take some pictures.

Posted on: 2010/3/10 12:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information

AL

(It's been raining all week here too. Unusual for early March. It'll be snowing by the end of the month probly.)

Posted on: 2010/3/11 23:14
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
bump

Hey AL, no snow here! Hope you fared as well down there.

Posted on: 2010/3/28 22:46
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Well as per usual nothing ever goes right. The door handles are on but the Drivers side will not release the catch. I had to get cute and have the locksmith make keys for them and make them the same as the ignition key that I have. During the process the plunger got messed up and it will not release the latch. I am going to have to crimp a piece of metal on the tang in order for the latch tab to release. If all of that is confusing I will try to take pictures today. Next, so far on the passengers side I have got the big pot metal strip of chrome attached but I cannot open the door without scrubbing both the chrome and the fender. I am not sure what I was doing at the time but the passengers side rear exhaust pipe from the rear of the muffler including the resonator just fell off. However the grille is in and the front bumper on and tight. I am going to have the body man come over and see if he can adjust anything before I go thru the hassle of dragging the car back to his shop.

Posted on: 2010/3/29 5:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Well the door handle problem is fixed. I got a lead ferrel at the hardware store and cut a notch in it, slid it over the plunger rod that goes thru the release latch and hammered in on. for some odd reason the throw was not long enough so with the ferrel to take up the distance the release latch is being push almost as soon as the button is pushed. The photo is a bit fuzzy but I could not get it any better, but now I am afraid, very afraid because I did this without dropping the ferrel into the door bottom or dropping any tools or hitting my thumb or the car door with the hammer.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.48 KB)
430_4bb136e1d8dc7.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/3/29 18:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Things going well can be bad ju-ju. Especially after messing with something as primal as locks. BEWARE!

Posted on: 2010/3/30 0:58
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Just read thru this thread - what a great, unique car! Wow, it's come a long way in a short time. Hope to get to Gettysburg this year and see it there! Love those Mopars too, I'm a huge 55-71 Mopar fan, sold my 58 DeSoto but still have my 71 Fury.

Posted on: 2010/3/30 10:37
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 20 21 22 (23) 24 25 26 ... 42 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved