Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Re: Windshield wipers not working
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
We may have the answer, now, but I'll ask you first since you obviously know way more than me.

At the bottom of the wiper device (dead center and obscured behind the thinner black hose in the photo) is a 1/4 nipple that is not used. I had the impression (maybe wrongly) that it was intended for air relief or something, but maybe not.

Of course, if that is where the hose from the jar is really supposed to go, then what about the diagram where it shows a hose is supposed to go from the jar to the balancing valve (in pic3 that you posted)? Obviously, if I move this hose, then I will have an open slot at the balancing valve.

BTW, you are correct in that, at the jar, there is only 1 hose. The other 2 very thin ones are wires. Does this mean electrical and no vacuum?

Posted on: 2008/12/17 23:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Here's a view of the wiper control device from the left side. You can see 2 things.

First, you can see the vacant nipple at the bottom, dead center.

Second you can see the hose at the right side of balancing valve coming in from the jar. The two hoses at the bottom of balancing valve go to oil pan and manifold as in diagram.

Moving hose from jar away from balancing valve and onto vacant nipple will leave a vacant nipple at the balancing valve.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.52 KB)
1168_4949d1e30b0b2.jpg 480X360 px

Posted on: 2008/12/17 23:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It sounds like someone has done a bit of change so if I were you, would start with basics. There will be 3 hoses off the balance valve-- manifold, vacuum pump, and the one off fat end to the Y fitting and motor. The other outlet needs to be plugged.

The small tubes from Y fitting and center of motor to wiper switch stay as is.

The hose from black cylinder which I think I understood now goes to the nozzles is apparently going somewhere wrong as it would normally go to jar. That part will be totally non functional without the co-ordinator valve in the Packard setup and can just sit there.

From the washer, take the water hose into the dash and connect to the T fitting to nozzles. Also make sure nozzles are clear after sitting all this time or you may have wet feet.

The unused nipple or T fitting under motor does not sound like it's doing anything but need to see a better pict to say for sure, and with only 1 water hose from jar and electric pump, there would be no vacuum supply needed so nothing would connect to balance valve from jar.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 23:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Cool. We are getting close.

Here's a marked pic to show vacant nipple better.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.17 KB)
1168_4949d53b9fecc.jpg 480X360 px

Posted on: 2008/12/17 23:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The nipple is not used so just ignore it. On the balancing valve, just cut a 2-3" piece of hose, shove a piece of wood, screw, silicone or anything in one end to stop it up then put on the outlet that was going to the jar.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 23:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Also, I caught your description of the function of the 2 small hoses (for fast and slow). After oiling with pneumatic oil today, I see the speed as tolerable. I was unaware of the sliding device, so it has always been on fast (since travel of blades is narrow). If fast is tolerable, slow would be useless. How fast is fast supposed to be?

Posted on: 2008/12/17 23:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Our last posts crossed. I will follow your instructions. HH, you are the man!

When I experienced the problem earlier today, I was at a dealership client's place where we oiled the wipers. Because of you, I was the only one who knew to do that, and it worked! As far as water from the jar going into manifold, the mechanics there just scratched their heads and emptied the jar to stop it from happening again.

Thanks so much.

Oh, by the way, if we disconnect hose from motor at the tee, then what was the hose to the motor originally for? I will have no more hose to motor.

Posted on: 2008/12/17 23:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm confused about which hose from motor at tee. Are you referring to the hose on L side of motor connected to black cylinder or another hose.

Posted on: 2008/12/18 0:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Yes, the hose on left side of motor. It goes through the dash and to the tee. You advised to remove it from tee and let it hang there. Since it will be connected to nothing, I was ust wondering what its purpose was, and why I no longer need it.

FYI, I broke the small hose that controls slow speed. Wipers work still in fast mode. Still, the speed is tolarable as I described. It was that way after I oiled the device as instructed and BEFORE I broke the slow speed hose. So, I'm wondering if my fast should be faster, because if it is operating as it should (which is tolerable to me), then slow would be useless.

Maybe I have a weak vacuum. Am wondering because I thought vacuum comes from oil sump. If so, I added a quart of oil to control tappet as many have done. Could adding the extra quart result in poor vacuum quality?

Also, did you say small hoses are 1/8"?

Posted on: 2008/12/18 0:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That black cylinder is the co-ordinator and is part of the washer system. It would get vacuum from the Packard washer to operate, but if the car had not had a washer option, would not be there at all. It's function is to turn on the wipers when you push the button, and turn them off a few seconds after the water stops. Since you no longer have the Packard setup, it will just sit there and look pretty. As long as it is free to slide when wipers turned on, won't hurt a thing.

The vacuum pump is marginal at best and was there as an addition to the manifold vacuum which goes away under some load conditions or when throttle is wide open. Packard always had an extra vacuum source that supposedly would keep the wipers working under low manifold conditions. It's a nice theory but not always successful. Most other mfgs did without or used a dual action fuel pump. Anyway, this is supposed to be an extra bit and when manifold goes away, balancing valve cuts that source off and vacuum pump takes over keeping the wipers moving. Sometimes it works. The extra oil should not affect it.

Here is a description of the wipers and claimed speeds. The small hoses are 1/8.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.85 KB)
209_4949e03be1bc3.jpg 624X527 px

jpg  (80.04 KB)
209_4949e05e5794c.jpg 869X628 px

Posted on: 2008/12/18 0:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved