Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 209

Ozstatman, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Windshield wipers not working
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Wipers stopped working after I did an adjustment to transmission linkage yesterday. While I was doing the adjustment, my arm caught the hose that runs from the water reservoir to the wiper mechanism and pulled it off. I reconnected the hose, and that was that.

Today, te wipers don't work. They used to work, but only okay and not real great. I am wondering did I lose a vacuum or something and how to fix this. Thanks.

It's a nice car; I just need to address some little issues to make it right.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 19:28
 Top  Print   

Re: Windshield wipers not working
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Jeff, The model and year of your Packard would be helpful.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 19:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Sorry about that. It's a 1956 Clipper Deluxe.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 20:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the hose installation info. You didn't say if you had a washer or not. When you turn the knob, does it move the slide on top of motor? That is the actual valve that turns things on & if you have the washer co-ordinator and that is the hose that was pulled, was anything bent. That black plastic cylinder has to slide along with the valve. Otherwise, just follow the hose diagram.

Attach file:

jpg  (17.94 KB)
209_49470715339e8.jpg 531X484 px

jpg  (35.91 KB)
209_4947071fe9efd.jpg 550X320 px

Posted on: 2008/12/15 20:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Thanks, HH. You guys really are up on these Packards. I am surprised at the responsiveness I get here on this forum.

Anyway, there is a washer. The hose that dislodged was the one from the middle of the top of the jar. It seems it connects to the middle of the washer mechanism at the bottom of it. THe pics you posted are hard for me to decipher. There is only one large hose coming from the jar. The others are either very small or electrical wiring. It is dark out, but I am still going to try to figure this out.

Have I described the hose in issue where you can understand which one I am referring to?

Posted on: 2008/12/15 21:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Also, I turned the knob, and it does control the slider that is between the motor and assembly.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 21:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Done! I reconnected the hose to the wrong place. It should have gone to the balancing valve.

Now, I found the SB describing the need to regularly lubricate the wiper assembly to keep the wipers moving fast. Mine are sluggish. Here is the link to the SB.

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL23NO10.pdf

I am slightly confused about what it is saying, but has anybody tried this successfully to make sluggish wipers fast again?

Also, what about the recommended oil? Is it still easy to get, or is something else recommended nowadays?

The confusing part of the SB instructions is where it talks about moving the wiper blade until it clicks. Are we supposed to have the wipers turned off and just move the blade manually?

Posted on: 2008/12/15 21:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glad you got things working. The original oil mentioned is probably NLA but I believe one person suggested vacuum pump oil as a substitute and another suggested air tool oil when this came up a few months ago. I haven't tried either but see no reason why they wouldn't work. You move the blades manually. If you listen carefully, at almost the end of the stroke in each direction, there will be a faint click from the front of the motor when the direction valve switches position. That is what they refer to. Here's a crappy pic of the jar hoses.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.08 KB)
209_49471a83ce897.jpg 532X598 px

Posted on: 2008/12/15 21:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Okay, I can try pneumatic air equipment oil. Here's what I am not sure of....

It says to move the blade to a position just before the click. I suppose what I can do is "eyeball" the position where that is and then come back to it but stop a little early.

From there, it says to move the blade rapidly back the opposite direction and then, move it back and forth a few times. What it doesn't say in this instruction is whether, when moving it rapidly and then back and forth, you should (or can) move it beyond the click position.

For example, there is a click at wide open, and another at closed. I can move it to just before the click at wide open, then insert the hose into oil, and then move back rapidly toward closed position. However, do I move it all the way to the click position at closed, or not that far?

Posted on: 2008/12/15 22:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You're exactly right. Find the clicks then eyeball where the blades are just before. When you rapidly move it, the direction valve hasn't changed so you will suck up some oil. You move it back and forth in the area between the clicks a few times to move the oil around. After that, expel the excess and do the other side. Essentially, the motor is two separate chambers with the direction valve being the only inlet to either. What you're doing is sucking up oil on one side, sloshing it to coat all those surfaces, then changing the valve and repeating so the other side is treated.

Posted on: 2008/12/15 22:29
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved