Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 169

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Flex_a-lite 11319 or 1519 fan?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Pat, try using some washers as spacers rather than boring out the center hole in the fan to a larger size. Use just enough spacers to get the fan to be even with or clear the hub. It worked for me.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/5/2 11:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
We talkedit over and decided not to, because the bolts were significantly smaller than the slots, so the rig could slip. It will eventually work; the question is whether to weld a shet stell reinforcing plate which would then be drilled to fit properly. It's the mechanic's call.

Posted on: 2011/5/3 21:29
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
GO to any auto parts store. Buy a spacer for fan blades. A stock chevy spacer (ca. 1955-75) will probably work. The auto parts stores sell a kind of universal such spacers in a variety of sizes and applications. Cut it down a little if needed. Have it COUNTER bored just enuf to fit hte Packard pump. That's what i had to do.

Posted on: 2011/5/3 22:30
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Packard V8 has it right. If you're scared you won't get the hole centered, take it to a machine shop. They'll likely do it right then and it'd be dirt cheap. Fortunately the 50 pump had the large shoulder on the water pump and then a small one on the end and the small one fit the spacer perfectly. I put washers on the pump from the flange to the small shoulder where the spacer was just to give it some rigidity.

Posted on: 2011/5/4 8:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Plan B;
A fan shroud. Most all modern production shrouds are PLASTIC. That means they are ez to cut and fit. Used ones are Probably dirt cheap too.

Posted on: 2011/5/4 8:48
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Wonder why none of the vendors offer a spacer/adapter for modern fans????

Posted on: 2011/5/4 8:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Spacers are cheap, maybe kanter or someone will buy some, drill them correctly, and add 50% to the price. It'd be worth it, $30 for a correct spacer vs $20 for your own you have to mangle. Plus, with all us Guinea pigs giving the correct dimensions for different cars/motors, they can list the application in their book.

Posted on: 2011/5/4 10:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

patgreen wrote:
We talkedit over and decided not to, because the bolts were significantly smaller than the slots, so the rig could slip. It will eventually work; the question is whether to weld a shet stell reinforcing plate which would then be drilled to fit properly. It's the mechanic's call.

patgreen, have you considered cutting some short lengths of steel tubing to fit over the bolts? These would act as sleeves to make up the diameter difference. Also you could drill out the holes in the pump hub and tap in new threads. This is probably not the fan for your car, but these are a couple of other things to consider to get it to fit.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2011/5/4 11:09
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Appreciate the good ideas. I don't do the work, but I use a couple of mechanics I trust, and find that they make better decisions than I do, plus when they make the call they are invested in the work. They don't like using washers, and I agree. As to spacers, there isn't a lot of room in which to "space".

To my untrained eye, enlarging the hole makes the most sense if it doesn't weaken the fan too much.

Another consideration is that these are old cars; the day may come when the water pump has to go while we are in the middle of nowhere (probably holding a tin cup for gas money). I don't want that potential scenario complicated by the need2 for a machinist; I don't want grief brought about by a wobbling fan blade.....

Posted on: 2011/5/4 15:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
As it turns out, thr flrx riye fan is a no-go. Drilling out the the mounting hole would weaken the fan too much. Apparently welding on reinforcement doesn't answer either.

back to square one for the moment.....

meanwhile, the alternator is coming along. We figure to mount the evaporator with vibration standoffs which will absorb harmonics and allow the glove box to be used. A compressor bracket is being fabricated from the Vintage air universal bracket.

Don't know if the oil filter needs to be repositioned yet....

Posted on: 2011/6/12 11:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved