Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 213

Don B, Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Air conditioning redux.....
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
After several months of false starts, it appears (knock on wood) that Tuesday is the day it all starts.

What I could use from you is any late starting thoughts on the process as I turn it over to the mechanic.

We will be installing a Mark III underdash system with Sanden compressor and the rest from Vintage Air.

Also scheduled is a new alternator (single wire GM type, I believe).

We have a Packard six bladed fan and are considering electric fans in front of the radiator.

The cooling system will be flushed as a precaution, since it seems ok.

The air and the electric fan will run from two relay circuits to eliminate stress on the ignition switch.

We have suitable brackets from Mike Dulinski.

What else should I do or consider?

Posted on: 2012/7/22 16:39
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Air conditioning redux.....
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
A sight glass for the AC system PROPERLY INSTALLED. Mechanic will try to talk u out of it.

IIRC u are stubborn to a fault about needing the electric fan and alternator. Be stubborn the for the sight glass too.

Posted on: 2012/7/22 18:28
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Curious how you decided to control the extra fans. On whenever AC is turned on or with a separate thermostat so only on if needed or strictly manual control via switch.

Posted on: 2012/7/22 18:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Just out o curiosity are u using the cast iron OEm Packard braket for mounting the AC compressor???? (IT mounts to the LEFT head, T'stat housing bolts and OEM Packard bracket has bolt bosses to relocate oil filter to RITE side of engine).

Posted on: 2012/7/22 18:32
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Double check the amperage output of the SINGLE wire Delcotron vs standard vs OEM generator. I mite be wrong but IIRC the single wire alternator is rather low output compared to standard delco alternator as well as OEM generator.

Posted on: 2012/7/22 18:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Answers, in no particular order:

On the fan will probably go automatic with manual control as well.

Alternator is 65 amps....

Brackets are both custom made by Mike; the a/c bracket is not poriginal type. Alt goes in generator spot.

This is a 134 system where a sight glass is said not to work. Can you elaborate on why I should have one?

Posted on: 2012/7/23 1:35
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Take alook at this:

http://bob_skelly.home.comcast.net/~bob_skelly/alternator_conversion/wiring_alternator1.html

Excerpt from above web site:

Some of the disadvantages associated with the 1-wire system are:

Less than optimal voltage levels at points downstream from the alternator;
The ignition warning light is omitted;
At startup, a slow-running engine will not be spinning fast enough to turn-on the alternator and the system will be discharging until the throttle is blipped and the engine revs higher than the alternator cut-in speed.
Higher cost than 3-wire equivalent

Posted on: 2012/7/23 7:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved