Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 88

Don Shields, Kiwi Lad, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rebuilding the Bijur oiler system on a 733
Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
When I took my car apart two years ago I managed to lose a few of the oil meters in the Bijur oiling system so I bought the entire system from a 726 last year and wouldn't you know I am still short by three oil meters. This doesn't seem like a big deal because Bruce Blevins still has these for sale however I don't think I trust any of the existing meters. Almost all of them have crud stuck in them and I don't think it's possible to fix them. Have any of you managed to repair these or figured out a way to test them?

I have all of them sitting in a small bucket of brake cleaner right now.

Todd

Posted on: 2012/9/9 11:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Rebuilding the Bijur oiler system on a 733
Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
After careful inspection I found that the brass cover in the bottom of the meter valves is spring loaded and it's held in place with some carefully placed dents in the aluminum housing. I used a 3/16 reamer to remove the dents and the brass cover popped out. Behind it was a spring, then a smaller brass plate and then the metering rod. That's the good news, the bad news is the filter is located on the opposite side of the valve and it doesn't come apart. I don't think these are serviceable and without getting at the filter there is no way to clean them out. Looks like I will be calling Mr. Blevins.

Attach file:

jpg  (84.06 KB)
2666_504cd93b6d80a.jpg 1280X721 px

Posted on: 2012/9/9 13:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure how brake cleaner would compare to carb cleaner in dissolving the crud but now that you have it apart, seems like a good soak and then a shot of compressed air backwards would get most if not all the junk in the filter area out.

Posted on: 2012/9/9 13:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
ATF is thin and has a lot of detergent in it.
I've used that mixed with acetone and it does a good job of cleaning. Try several things.
It's like chicken soup for a cold - couldn't hurt!

Posted on: 2012/9/9 14:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
Thats a good idea Randy, I'll throw in some ATF tonight.

Thanks

Posted on: 2012/9/9 15:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
tfee, try going to the Packard Paddock site. I believe it contains info on rebuilding the Bijur system. The blogger used to be a regular here, but has gotten involved in his business activities.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/9/9 15:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tfee
See User information
I rebuilt all the lines this weeked and am waiting for new oil meters from Bruce Blevins. I posted some pictures in my build blog if anyone is interested. If I get the parts this week I may be able to finish installing the lines next weekend.

Posted on: 2012/9/23 17:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved