Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 211

BillinNC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

removing signal bulbs from housings
Just popping in
Just popping in

dhinsc
See User information
I am trying to help my father-in-law restore his 56 packard 400 and I can't figure out if the lamp sockets come out of the housings. He needs to get the turn signal and brake light housings re-chromed so the sockets need to be removed but I can't figure out how or if they do. I can't find the information on this forum either. Does anyone have experience in removing these sockets? They look like they may have been rolled into place.

thanks for your help

Posted on: 2012/10/15 16:48
 Top  Print   

Re: removing signal bulbs from housings
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The parking lamp is rolled. With patience you can uncrimp and if careful you may be able to remove and reuse. If not you could probably get a universal push in type socket to replace it. Weatherproofing would be the issue with a replacement though. It may be beneficial to leave the socket shell crimped in place and just remove the wiring and associated parts then repair that after the chroming. Socket repair kits are available if the old is in poor shape.

The tail/brake light is removable -- but is generally in pretty tight. The reverse is a question & I don't remember for sure. Think it is rolled because it is not accessible from the trunk. Being behind the mounting plate with the reverse light lens being removable from outside makes me think they would have mounted socket permanently to keep it from being pushed inside & "lost" in that small space.

YnZhttp://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/ has some universal push in type sockets as well as the repair kits if you decide to go that route & can't find them locally.

Posted on: 2012/10/15 17:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

dhinsc
See User information
Thanks,
I was afraid they were crimped but have never seen this before. If I try to remove, do I just try to get started with a pick and they work my way around?

I didn't understand how I would remove the wiring and terminals if I chose to go that route. The back side of the socket appears to be sealed.

Lastly, which push in socket would be the right one? There are several that come up in a search.

thanks for your troubles

Posted on: 2012/10/15 18:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You can try with a pick to get it started and then maybe some needle nose pliers or maybe something wider to continue. IIRC, the shell crimp is fairly thin.

To just remove the insides, the current weatherproofing would have to be loosened or removed. After that if you cut the wires in a place where they can be respliced, the inside pieces will come out from the front. A phenolic plate, spring and the contacts with wires attached.

I believe the front sockets are 3/4 inch diameter but you would have to confirm. I don't remember on the reverse lights.

Posted on: 2012/10/15 18:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You can leave the metal portions of the sockets in place for plating, but remove the springs, button tabs, wires, etc. and then discuss with your plater how to protect the areas you don't want plated. Plater's tape, modeling putty, and other such materials perhaps even including high melting waxes have all been used for this purpose. If you've selected a really good plater, he'll know what's best.

Posted on: 2012/10/15 19:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved