Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
237 user(s) are online (164 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 237

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1930 733 Valve tappet questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dear All,

I have disassembled a valve tappet cover/holder from my engine. I have two questions about them.

1) Are the shaft bearings that are integral with the assembly replacable, and if so, where should I look for replacements (see photo)?

2) The tappets largely do not move horizontally along the shaft that holds them. However, two do, one in each assembly. Are they supposed to move horizontally? If not, what keeps them in place? I have placed a small quicktime movie on my blog showing what I am talking about.

Thanks,

Tom

Attach file:

jpg  (20.09 KB)
333_4851f63d13ec1.jpg 630X313 px

Posted on: 2008/6/12 23:34
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Re: 1930 733 Valve tappet questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Tom, in your video it looks like there's springs in between the rockers. Is just one of them stuck?

Posted on: 2008/6/13 2:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Tom,

I could not get your video to work here at work.

Your rockers are just like what are on my car. On mine I had to have some of the rockers rewelded to the bushing because they broke loose from them do to the fact that the bushing were somewhat frozen onto the shaft they ride on. I wonder if some of yours have come loose from their bushings and that is why you have some moving horizontally.

Posted on: 2008/6/13 6:49
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Some new rocker parts are (or at least were) available from Egge. If you've got a lathe or a friend with one, making the bushings is fairly straight forward.

Posted on: 2008/6/13 8:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tom, it looks to me like there may be a spring missing. This would allow the rocker/tappet assembly to slide back and forth on the shaft. As pointed out in an earlier reply, it looks like there are springs between the other assemblies. How many shaft springs does the parts book list? I doubt the bushings are the cause of the play. Keep cool - John

Posted on: 2008/6/13 9:53
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
I realize the bushings aren't going to effect the horizontal movement of the tappet arms. From Tom's description, it sounds like the arms are supposed to be fixed to their respective bushings (not the bushing in the casting, but the bushings at the base of the arms that ride on the shaft). In the movie, you can see the arm moves back and forth on the bushing, not the shaft.

Here is a photo of the tappet arm assembly with the shaft removed but the arms, springs, and washers still in place. As you can see, each pair of arms has the same arrangement of washers and springs between them. So it is not a spring issue.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Tom

p.s. Tom, I am sorry you couldn't see the movie. It is in Quicktime format.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.76 KB)
333_4852a3a59fde9.jpg 640X333 px

Posted on: 2008/6/13 11:44
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tom, looking at the video again I see what you mean about the arms moving on the bushings. The springs appear to be pushing against the bushings. Do the other arms move on their bushings or do the arm-bushings assemblies move on the shaft? I would think that the bushings outside would be a press fit into the arms, the bushings inside fit to the shafts so as to allow rotating movement, and the bushing and the arm assembly rotate on the shaft. If this is correct, then the bushings on the two in question have come free of the arms allowing the arms to move laterally. It is hard to trouble shoot from a distance, but I believe this is what is happening. Stay cool - John

Posted on: 2008/6/13 15:35
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
So, the main question has been answered, which is that the arms are, indeed, supposed to be attached to the bushings.

Thanks tons for the help.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2008/6/13 16:06
--
Thomas Wilcox
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Tom,

I am able to watch your video here at home. From what I can see I am with JW your rockers arms have come loose from the bushing.

Tom

Posted on: 2008/6/13 19:03
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved