Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 225

tsherry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Re-chrome rear window frame w/ latch?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim Mayfield
See User information
I want to re-chrome the window frames on my rear push-out windows on my 1938 Packard Eight Model 1601. Do I need to remove the latch and the pivot post, or can a chrome shop re-chrome the frame and latch without taking it off? If I need to remove the latch, does it pry off or is there a pressed-in pin? Thanks.

Attach file:

doc Size: 580.00 KB; Hits: 25

Posted on: 2012/12/24 20:55
 Top  Print   

Re: Re-chrome rear window frame w/ latch?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I think the best person to ask is your chrome plater. I've had items with moving parts plated without problems, one example being the folding hinge for a rear trunk rack, this was done w/o disassembling the hinge. So I believe it's possible but depends on the skill and experience of your plater.

Posted on: 2012/12/24 23:12
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim Mayfield
See User information
Thanks! I'll ask him. Today he is on Christmas holiday.

Posted on: 2012/12/25 9:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
When I had the vent windows on my 39 rechromed, I took them completely apart so that the pivots would not be chromed.

Posted on: 2012/12/25 16:48
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim Mayfield
See User information
Was the pivot at the bottom welded or soldered in place, or did it stay in position because the glass held it.

The reason I ask is that one of my pivots (on my two rear windows) was free to come out once the glass was removed. The other seems to be permanently attached. It is probably corrosion that is holding it in place, but it has a serious grip on it.

Posted on: 2012/12/28 9:33
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved