Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (154 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 218

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

51 Door Trim Cloth and design
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Below are some pics of the door trim materials and the design on my '51 Deluxe Club Sedan. This is original from the factory as far as I know. I really like the trim and want to reproduce it exactly.

Interestingly the photos I have seen of quite a few '51 door trims don't seem to be the same. Some have the metal strip, and some are simply 'quilted' etc, but I haven't seen any (yet) with the large 'embossed' (-if that's the correct term?) squares in the grey broadcloth or the same patterns on the lower blue vinyl. (Vinyl appears to be done with heat forming and not stitching but I'm no expert on these things). Guessing many have been re-upholstered a different way to the original . . .

I'm concerned that an exact copy might be difficult to obtain -?

I have one source for the chromed metal strip at Nor-Cal Projects . Have also been sent samples of the cloth (Dark Blue and Light Grey Broadcloths) from SMS, who say they can make the trims as per original. I'd like to think they could to do an 'exact' copy and not just a 'stitched' and quilted look-alike job which would look different.

Would like to hear from anyone who has had a company provide the exact same style of trim (- or supplied cloth with these squares embossed on it, or vinyl done the same way as in photos).

Have looked at Hirsch, Kanter and Le Barron Bonney sites without seeing what I want. But have not yet made enquiries with them, as opinions from you guys are the best starting point (always!).

Thanks in anticipation.

General view of door trim and qtr panel trim
Click to see original Image in a new window

Detail of vinyl patterning

Detail of broadcloth "embossing"

Metal strip

Posted on: 2013/1/14 19:04
 Top  Print   

Re: 51 Door Trim Cloth and design
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Hi Larry..

This is strictly a FYI comment, undoubtedly, there are others with more experience than I in this..maybe.

Your task here is to reproduce the material...a good upholstery shop should be able to stitch and pattern the material properly. My experience..again, as a FWIW..is that Hirsh in Newark, NJ (USA) is the source for this..Kanter carries his stuff, as they're both in NJ. I'd suggest you send a swatch of the material that's been covered by some interior part(and therefore most accurate for color) like from under the door arm rest to them for a match. I've found them to be very professional and helpful, see what they can do for you, and in the mean time, look for reputable upholstery shops near you to do the actual work when the material arrives.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 19:29
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That looks to be a 200 pattern with the squares whereas I believe the senior cars had more chrome in a rectangle and vertical stamped "pleats" within that rectangle space.

I think the patterns were embossed. Isn't there very thin sheets or multiple layers of paper like padding maybe a total of 1/8" or so thick under the fabric. Not sure exactly how it works but I think the paper contains something like a resin or glue that melts when heat is applied. If a large heated stamp with the pattern was placed over the entire sandwich I think the stuff would melt and the fabric & pad would flatten & adhere where the heated die or surface would land but the padding would stay expanded where the die did not press. Can't tell on yours but some of the chrome strips were also very thin and heat pressed directly onto the fabric

Here is a couple of photos of 200 sedan door panels -- believe they were from a car on ebay.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.85 KB)
209_50f4a4f3b20cb.jpg 668X516 px

jpg  (38.98 KB)
209_50f4b78d120b8.jpg 675X509 px

Posted on: 2013/1/14 19:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
check out some of the drawings in the Packard Model Info for guidance. My guess is that those are 300 door panels.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 20:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I checked some old photos - changing my opinion to a 200 DeLuxe rather than a 300 door.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 21:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
My 200 door panels are even more plain than those. Upper potion is a celery type material and bottom is vinyl. A plain chrome strip separates them. Upper and lower panels do not have any raised or indented pattern to them.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 22:24
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
I tried to find the same material here in okc at the trim shops but nothing avail. Here is what I did to my 53 patrician door panels. Its a driver not a show car. I'm thinking about adding some buttons where the old one were at the bottom of the door panel.

Attach file:

jpg  (133.19 KB)
3750_50f558909fc0c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (70.05 KB)
3750_50f55a189bd41.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/1/15 8:31
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
To my knowledge, there were two types of door panels- one for the base model 200 and one for the deluxe model. Here is a photo of my 200. These are new ones made by a local upholstery shop, using the old ones as a go-by. Mine are the plainer version (but easier to replicate). Double click on the photo to blow it up large enough to see the doors. The seats are not stock.

Attach file:

jpg  (73.22 KB)
1679_50f5ba1a6461e.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2013/1/15 15:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Very good and helpful information - thanks!

Howard - thanks for the explanation of the method by which these clever upholstery people get the 'embossed' effect, I had wondered how they did it. I will peel off a layer under the cloth and see what I can find to confirm that heat is the likely method used.

Bob's 53 Patrician has some of the same cloth with the embossed squares (- and new panel looks good Bob). So it was not a 'one-off' or limited to an Australian export cat which is good to know.

I was thinking there must be two styles (- 200 and 200 Deluxe) for the panels as a lot look like the photo posted by David. And there may have even bee a third plainer version - if Charles' car has the original trim.

I wonder if your 'everyday' upholsterer would be able to replicate these embossed squares!? Or if anyone has ever been able to buy some of that patterned cloth? Hoping for a post from someone that has done so . . .

Posted on: 2013/1/15 18:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
The cloth on my door panels was sewn on by the upholsterer.

Look athttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/ScientificDiagnosis.pdf
page 29. They are working on a 200 and it shows the interior door panel.

Posted on: 2013/1/15 20:44
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved