Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 147

Ross, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

T/L 7 second delay
Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Guys, I got the T/L working great and the car is level front to back but a little off side to side but I think that is the rear coilover shocks. My question is that my delay for the engagment of the T/L solenoids is about 2 seconds, not 7 like it should be. If i sit on the front fender it starts moving. I know there are wire coils in the switch that controls this, but the question is, is there any other fix than purchasing a new one.

Thanks
Bill

Posted on: 2013/1/17 18:32
 Top  Print   

Re: T/L 7 second delay
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations on getting the leveler working. If you have the Packard original, there is no good adjustment for the time delay.

The first photo shows the bimetal strips right in the middle of the picture -- one showing the heater which controls the strip for one direction in brown and the other direction below it in green.

The second photo shows the other end of the strips and the contacts energizing the relays the strip makes connection with. When the heater is energized, it bends either the top bimetal element to one side or the bottom to the other & nominally takes about 7 seconds to span the distance.

The length of time it takes the bimetal to bend and connect might conceivably be changed by bending the contacts farther away but would take experimentation and may not even be successful. If the time is really short I would expect something else might be failing -- possibly the heater is partially shorted and getting hotter than normal or maybe something holding the strips has come loose so they are out of position. If that is the case the switch may fail anyway.

If you have the repro switch, depending on how they did the electronics for the timing circuit, there may be an adjustment. You would have to talk to the people that made it to know.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.68 KB)
209_50f892d2c4d0e.jpg 640X468 px

jpg  (29.68 KB)
209_50f892da16cf4.jpg 640X436 px

Posted on: 2013/1/17 19:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: T/L 7 second delay
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
my limit switch contacts got bent for an unknown reason....so it could be possible they are out of wack like Howard says.

Posted on: 2013/1/18 9:47
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved