Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
192 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 188

TxGoat, R H, JohnCB, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Radio Mounts
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Miles Whetham
See User information
I have aquired an original equipment radio to put in my 42 Clipper. Even managed to find a local vender to get it working. My problem is that there are no mounts for it under the dash. The radio has mounts on it but I don't know what the original under dash mounting features even looked like. If anyone has any info on this or maybe even has a pair of original mounts available, I would like to hear from you.

Thanks,
Miles

Posted on: 2013/3/11 14:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Radio Mounts
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Miles, I installed a 1942 radio in my 1947 S.C. and it mounted the same as my '47. I unfortunately don't have the car to take photos but it you look along the sides of the radio you should see brackets sticking out with a hole in it. Up under the dash you should find similar brackets with holes. The radio was held in place with rods about 8-10" long which have "j" hook on one end and a threaded end on the other to which were screwed wing nuts. The J hooks went through the holes on the underdash brackets and then through the radio bracket The radio is held in place with these two rods by the use of the wing nuts and the nuts and bezels which hold the faceplate to the dash panel. With some fabrication skills I suspect the rods would not be difficult to make with rei-rod etc. I sincerely hope this description will help.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 15:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Hi Miles,
I've had my radio out several times and Dave is right on in his description. One of my rods had been fabricated by bending a hook in a 1/4 or 3/8 threaded rod.
As I recall the brackets are way up, mounted underneath the very top of the dash. You should be able to spot them with a flashlight.
Also, the rods are insulated, originally with a cloth tube. I used a length of heat shrink tubing.
Good Luck,
Mark

Posted on: 2013/3/11 16:29
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Miles Whetham
See User information
Thanks for the help. That sounds like it should be pretty easy to take care of.

Thanks again!

Posted on: 2013/3/11 16:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a photo of the 47 brackets.

They are 1/4" rod, 8 inches long from end to end including the bend. Threaded 1/4-20 for a distance of 1 1/2 inches. The hook portion is 3/4 long also from end to end including the bend.

The insulating sleeve is 5 1/2 inches long, old style woven fabric about 1/16 thick giving the rod an overall diameter of 3/8 inch where the sleeve is placed. It is free to move on the rod.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.31 KB)
209_513e4f0612ad9.jpg 640X202 px

Posted on: 2013/3/11 16:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I didn't know about the insulation. They must have been discarded on my car.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 17:58

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved