Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
85 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 85

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Was this how patch panels were done?!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ben_Wojdyla
See User information
Click to see original Image in a new window

There was a suspicious bubbly spot on the Packard's passenger side hind quarter when I bought it and I new full well it was bondo popping from a half-assed repair, but I decided it was time to dig in and see what was going on. I discovered a rather badly brazed-in patch panel covering as-yet unknown damage. Was this how body shops did patch panels back in the day or was this a hack job? (I'm betting hack job).

Full Gallery:http://imgur.com/a/3TKCm#0

Posted on: 2013/3/15 16:35
 Top  Print   

Re: Was this how patch panels were done?!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ben, I think you already know the answer to your question, but if not, who ever did that certainly was not a professional body/fender man. Looks like a homemade schlock job.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 17:35
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ben_Wojdyla
See User information
Yeah, I know it's a terrible hack job, but there are times that I'm forced to ask. Sometimes you find that dumb things were done in the past.

"We pour liquid metal to form each crankshaft bearing"

"Pour lead into the seams of sheetmetal joints then file and sand it smooth without a respirator? How else would you do it?"

"Why wouldn't you use asbestos brake pads? That stuff is great!"

Posted on: 2013/3/15 17:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The way they used to do it was with pop rivets, so you have the deluxe brazing job.

The next method is spot braze like yours and shovel lead in there to fill the seam. The braze tins very easily.

I saw a patch like that on one of Marty Beron's budget paint jobs. Everybody knocked it, but my reply was "Hey it lasted thirty years and the car sat outside".

One thing about that patch is that the fender is still there. I've seen cars totalled when someone decided they were going to show everybody up and start cutting.

I remember someone trying to cut the stainless beltline mouldings off of a Custom 8 convertible. I told them they should understand that Packard was very proud of the skill it took to put those mouldings on. They scoffed and totalled it.

Posted on: 2013/3/15 22:29
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ben_Wojdyla
See User information
The interesting part is there was no lead in this repair. Bondo only.

As far as fixing it, I'm fairly comfortable doing this repair properly though. I've stitch welding patch panels in place to replace the wheel wells and other stuff on my '64 Lincoln (and made sheetmetal NACA ducts and other stuff like that). No patch panels for those cars and they all rot the same way.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Finished product at the end of this short gallery
http://imgur.com/a/Uc96s

Posted on: 2013/3/17 9:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
There is a time and a place for everything, even substandard repairs.

It could be that was part of a cheap body and paint job, done at a time it was a used car of very little value.A proper, expensive repair was out of the question.

If you want to be philosophical, you could reflect that the owner at that time had to decide whether to scrap the car or do the minimum of repairs. And the only reason it survived, was that he elected to do the cheap repair.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 22:52
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved