Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 209

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

How odd -- not really
Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Skotty
See User information
My '47 LWB Custom Super Clipper has been undergoing and extended mechanical restoration for the past 3 years, and it is nearing completion. The restorer test drove it a couple of weeks ago and experienced some overdrive issues. I assured him it was properly an R-9, as the R-9 age appropriate, and it does have the six wire R-9 relay. Low and behold, it has R-9 wiring, but the unit is an R-11. So, I have a spare transmission with an attached R-9 unit. My plan is to go all R-9, and not mess with the new wiring harness.

Any thoughts or advice? thanks

Posted on: 2013/4/17 16:03
Don Skotty
1938 Super 8 1604 1116 Club Sedan
1939 Twelve
 Top  Print   

Re: How odd -- not really
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My two cents says R9s biggest issue is their parts seem to be more expensive today and the greater electrical/mechanical complexity makes it a candidate for expensive problems if something does go wrong. The electrical and having a non electrical person understand the sequences and contact action seems to be a large hurdle for some. If all is working properly, it does the job nicely. Since you already have the unit and a new harness plus it's the correct OD for the car, I'd say there isn't much reason not to put it in. I'm going to be installing my R9 back in the 47.

R11s were mostly put in the 47 cars because of the reverse lockup problem. They are simpler and don't have the electrical/mechanical issues which caused most of the R9 lockups. They basically have a power relay and a couple of easy to understand contacts & the mechanicals don't rely on spring loaded sliding sleeves which can bind or gum up.

If you go with the R9, IMO it would be a good idea to make sure the reverse safety switch is installed for that added bit of insurance.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 17:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
A couple of things to be aware of:

The solenoid that attached to the overdrive unit is different for an R-9. The R-11 solenoid has a shorter plunger shaft and different wiring connections.

There are 2 different versions of the R-9. Your Custom Super Clipper should have an R-9A which has heavier internal parts than the unit used in the smaller Clippers. Check the number that is cast into the case for the overdrive.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 17:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Skotty
See User information
Thank you both for your comments. I'll have to make sure my R-9 is a R-9A, and the right solenoid. I did buy a reverse lock-out switch from Max Merrit -- thanks to an earlier response on this forum.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 18:37
Don Skotty
1938 Super 8 1604 1116 Club Sedan
1939 Twelve
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Howard-first time I have heard a difference in plugger shafts lenght on R9 vs R11. If you recall I cannot get my OD to engage-we determined it was something internal to the OD unit. Is it possible I have an R11 solenoid?

David

Posted on: 2013/4/18 8:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The R9 solenoid has 4 external terminals and the R11 has 2 so that is the easy identification. If yours has the correct 4 terminals and you can engage the ball into the pawl slot, then chances are it's the correct part ---

We know almost anything is possible when it comes to 60+ years of work by sometimes questionable mechanics. If someone rebuilt the solenoid and swapped parts -- IF an R11 plunger will fit inside an R9 solenoid -- then maybe. I don't know if the parts are interchangeable and thought we had measured earlier. If not, BDeB posted a photo of a relaxed R11 end being measured herehttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=112210#forumpost112210 As he mentions, that same measurement taken from the same location on a relaxed R9 solenoid (without the R9 spacer in place) is 2 1/4".

Posted on: 2013/4/18 9:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I have the 4 terminals-I will relax again!! I donot feel like removing that thing again right now. As I mentioned a couple of months back-Mark lambert the Packard wizard here determined it was internal to the OD Unit

thks

David

Posted on: 2013/4/18 15:37
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
and a little
Wow am I confused... R9.. R9A.. R11.... ??? I Have a 1952 300. all original as far as I know... It was my grandfathers from the dealership he owned, and then My dads... How the heck do I know what tranny is in there? Having some shifting issues, Low is fine up to about 35 MPH, and High doesn't want to shift down to get going from a stop...

Posted on: 2013/7/27 19:12
25 years in the MP Corps never prepared me for a 52 Packard that sat sealed off from the world for 40 years!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With the symptoms, need to know which you have -- auto trans or standard. If we are talking standards, R6, R9 and R11s are the models of optional overdrives Packard used over the years. If you have a 52 standard trans with overdrive then you would have an R11 --.

When you say "High doesn't want to shift down" need more information. If standard trans, do you mean you can't move the gearshift lever or it makes noise or something else? If automatic, the transmission doesn't shift in normal operation. If H is used, it starts and stays in high with the direct drive converter lockout coming in or dropping out as the only "shift".

Posted on: 2013/7/27 19:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
I have an automatic, assuming from looking at it its the ultramatic. When in low, I can get to about 30 or 35 MPH and she seems to "bog down". In High, its a slow start from a stop, and slow going up hill but can get pretty good speed down hill. as stated in the manual to activate overdrive, push the pedal to the floor, this doesn't seem to do much. There is a switch at the accelerator lever on the fire wall, but I don't see anything (wires) in or around it. Thinking this is the overdrive switch?

Im sure a lot of the issues with bogging down and loss of power up hill are carburetor issues. I rebuilt the carb, and did little to no adjusting as the literature with the rebuild kit demanded... but put it together, put it on, and she cranked right up.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 21:27
25 years in the MP Corps never prepared me for a 52 Packard that sat sealed off from the world for 40 years!
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved