Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 99

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 valves
Just popping in
Just popping in

kevins29truck
See User information
Tore 40 356 down for rebuilding, and the valves had single lock keepers. Bought new valves a 40 356 and they have key slot keepers in them or the pin keeper. I am guessing that is correct for 40 then. Are the later 356 valves the same length with single lock keepers, that they can be fitted to the 40 18th series? My main question is are the retainers the same for the 2 styles. If not i need new retainers or the later set of valves. any thoughts and comments appreciated. Who would sell retainers for 40 if they are not the same?

Posted on: 2013/8/21 22:34
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 valves
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The 1940 valves had a slot through the stem and a single keeper that slid through the slot. 1941 and later had a groove in the valve stem and 2 tapered keepers. The retainers for each type are different.

The later type valves can be used for 1940 models but would require the matching keepers and retainers. Valve springs are the same for all years.

Retainers for 1940 are part #324960 and are also used for 1938-40 six and 120.
The 1941 and later retainers are part #358184 and are used for engines up to 1954.

Posted on: 2013/8/22 2:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Recently did a valve job on my 1940 - 180 with the 356 engine. Have the original engine which also has the slot type valves and keepers. Had to rotate the cupped keeper washes so the keepers would fit up into the slot in the bottom of the washers. The valves had been replaced previously and their stem diameter was larger than the factory spec valves, so be sure to check your valve guides for correct clearance if you replace any valves.

Posted on: 2013/8/22 15:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good advice. Back in the day, a valves with over sized stems would be used instead of replacing the worn guides. The worn guide would be reamed to fit the new over sized stems.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/8/23 10:00
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved