Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 75

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1938 120 question relating to spare wheel mounting
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

dennis Nielsen
See User information
Hello. As I approach the end of my restoration of my 1938 120, I am tiding up all the little items. I have one item that puzzles me and another on which I am not sure.
The puzzle. I have the correct spare wheel hold-down hardware, but do not seem able to get the piece that fits into the wheel centre hole to line up neatly with the 2 attachment arms. As a good bit of the spare wheel wells were rusted away, thus needing new metal, I suspect that there were perhaps some rubber spacers fitted of which I am not aware of. If this is correct they may have guided the wheel into its correct place. Can someone offer some advice.
The unsure item. I have a reproduction of the owners hand-book which implies that the vacuum off-take, for the wipers, on the inlet manifold is to be connected to the vacuum side of the dual fuel/vacuum pump, and from there to the wiper motor.The object being to always have sufficient vacuum to keep the wipers operating. Is this correct?
Thanks and regards. Dennis.

Posted on: 2013/8/25 11:08
 Top  Print   

Re: 1938 120 question relating to spare wheel mounting
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Arthur C, 1602-1191
See User information
Hi. Your spare wheel mounting sounds like my 1602's side mounts, if so: The top arm takes a shaped round headed 'bolt' which braces the wheel outwards by pushing it's head against any one of the bolt holes in the wheel. Adjust the vertical 'rake' of the wheel by turning the 'bolt' in or out.
The lower arm retains the wheel inwards by pulling a shaped casting onto the wheel's center. This 'bolt' has a locking center in it's head. No rubber evident in mine.
If you like I could photograph mine for you.
Merry Christmas 2013 A.D. Arthur C.
PS Yes, for your 'unsure' item.

Posted on: 2013/12/22 0:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved