Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

A couple of T-L problems solved
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
My 55 Pat has both the auto leveling and manual override switch. A few weeks ago, the auto leveling quit working, but since I had the manual control and have been working on the header project, I didn't take the time to chase down the auto leveling problem. But all of a sudden the manual control "rear down" side of the switch became very intermittent. So, today I went into diagnostic mode to fix these two problems.

1) Auto level not working. Also not working were rear brake lights. Normally this means that the 20A fuse for those circuits is blown, but this was not the case since the courtesy light on the side came on when the door was open (same circuit). Also, checking the fuse showed it to be good.

I have the Gary Russel Packards Intl NW Region brake light switch conversion which lets one use a 2-prong hydraulic brake switch instead of the original 3-prong switch. This conversion entails a Radio Shack 900-2394 relay and some additional connectors. I had mounted the relay inside the driver compartment instead of down by the 2-prong switch just to protect it from exhaust heat.

After some multimeter chasing of a lack of 12V to the relay, I found the culprit. The connection from the battery positive aux lead had broken, but was hidden inside the plastic conduit (tubing). I reconnected it using a separate connector and that fixed that. Here's a pic of the new connection on the battery with the relay 12V wire and connector readily visible (it wasn't before). The larger wire is for the hidden stereo/CD/subwoofer power and was the previous connection for the T-L relay 12V wire.

Oh yeah, brake lights now work again too.

Resized Image

2) Manual control "rear down" intermittent. This was as I suspected: the Radio Shack DPDT internal contacts were getting burnt and not conducting all the time. I just switched the connections to the other (previously unused) side of the switch and that fixed it.

T-L now working per spec plus the manual override.

Add this to the "knowledge base" for future reference.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/10/13 18:48
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Re: A couple of T-L problems solved
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Craig,

dealing with ARC, Points, as with the clock,

they say to put a capacitor across the points (contacts), to keep them from arcing.

Posted on: 2013/10/13 21:13
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Riki Quote:
dealing with ARC, Points, as with the clock, they say to put a capacitor across the points (contacts), to keep them from arcing.

I think it needs a relay, but since this switch was good for 12 years before it started to fail, it should be good for another 12 years on the other side.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/10/13 21:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
12 years is a good run...that clicked off and on,, many times...

Posted on: 2013/10/13 22:04
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
what about this?

Attach file:

jpg  (127.89 KB)
4498_525b90c7bf249.jpg 989X1280 px

jpg  (132.35 KB)
4498_525b90dd9fa69.jpg 989X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/10/14 1:36
Riki
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
Craig, I also have the Gary Russell 2-prong brake switch on my T/L system, but some reason I've lost the wiring diagram as how I converted it from the 3-prong switch. Do you by chance have the wiring diagram?

Also, what do I need to do to install a manual override control switch?

Posted on: 2013/10/14 11:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Hot rod

Dpdr toggle switch...or seperate switch s leds to see up or down. .if you want

Posted on: 2013/10/14 11:17
Riki
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
Is the switch connected in parallel with the under dash T/L switch?

Posted on: 2013/10/14 11:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Hotrod Quote:
Craig, I also have the Gary Russell 2-prong brake switch on my T/L system, but some reason I've lost the wiring diagram as how I converted it from the 3-prong switch. Do you by chance have the wiring diagram?

There was no wiring diagram per se provided with the 3-prong to 2-prong kit from Russell, but between what was provided and my testing of the operation of the relay at the time:

On the relay:
30: 12V pos always on (this is what had become disconnected on mine)
87a: normally closed (torsion level normally on; Lt Green wires from underdash switch output side)
85: brake switch power (Dk Green wire)
87: to brake lights (Dk Green/Black; comes on when 2-prong has pressure)

The stock underdash on/off switch has Lt Green wires and is unchanged.

The 2-prong switch has the Lt Green wires that are normally there.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/10/14 11:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Also, what do I need to do to install a manual override control switch?

The original factory kit for the manual override seems to be in reasonable supply so perhaps it's easiest to just buy the kit which includes the small wiring harness. Otherwise just make up your own version of the kit. Here's the page from the Service Counselor on the kit.

Attach file:

jpg  (120.96 KB)
177_525c1fedba715.jpg 884X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/10/14 11:47
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved