Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
202 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 199

Charles, humanpotatohybrid, Owen_Dyneto, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Standard shift in 56 Packards & Clippers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In the past we've occasionally talked about how many 56 Packards and Clippers were factory-equipped with standard shift. I just saw something in TSB 56T-20 that had escaped my notice before. This TSB dated May 3, about 6 weeks from the final plant shutdown, gives the Utica engine #s at the time of the changeover to the final oil pump. It breaks the data down between standard shift and Ultramatic engines:

5640, - 480 standard shift engines prior to May 3.
5660-70, - 64 standard shift engines prior to May 3.
5680, Zero standard shift engines prior to May 3.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

Attach file:

jpg  (46.87 KB)
177_5269ee652239a.jpg 792X149 px

Posted on: 2013/10/24 23:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Standard shift in 56 Packards & Clippers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Dave, I respectfully disagree.
There are three oil pumps.
#1 same as 1955
#2 as described in 56-T20 is the same oil pump but has a threaded bolt with copper washer replacing the retainer 440655 and cotter pin.
#3 Is a different casting and is listed as part #6480508 which has a shorter piston #6492432 and a corresponding shorter spring #6492434.
This third pump also has the bolt with copper washer keeping the spring-valve combination sealed in its chamber.
I have this third pump in my 400 - it came from my parts car, and the number cast into the pump body is a 7 digit number beginning with "6". The older pump (#1 and #2) have a six digit number beginning with "440".
I will try to get the Utica number from my parts car block tomorrow.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 0:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks Randy for the info on the oil pumps, I stand corrected and knew better. But my point in the post was not about oil pumps but about how many engines were actually made for standard transmission prior to May 3rd.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 7:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Am I interpreting this correctly?

Sure looks like solid evidence to support a count - at least as a starting point.

Quote:
This TSB dated May 3, about 6 weeks from the final plant shutdown, gives the Utica engine #s at the time of the changeover to the final oil pump.

While the STB is dated May 3, you must have overlooked the point in the preceeding text of that bulletin, advising that the revised pump design was introduced in engine production on April 10 - another 4 weeks prior to shutdown of final assembly. However, I don't know what kind of lead time they had in mind between engine production and final vehicle assembly.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 9:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
BH, thanks for pointing that out about the April date. One thing occurs to me about the DD-1001. Either it WAS the first standard shift engine for the Pat/400, or it will be if it is ever actually built.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 9:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
randyberger wrote:

Quote:
Dave, I respectfully disagree.
There are three oil pumps.

Not to take this thread any further off course, but there were TWO (2) production versions of the oil pump for Packard vehicle applications:

* The original/early design for 55-56 with the relief valve retained by a cup and one cotter pin.

* The late design pump introduces late in 56th Series production, per STB 56T-20, with a plugged relief valve port. Although the parts book shows NO listing for this pump as a complete assembly, it does list other details for this pump - like a SHORTER relief valve and spring.

BTW, I have a NOS late design oil pump body, which bears the casting number 6492430, near the vacuum pump vent. The finished body (for service) is P/N 6492431, which uses the P/N 6492432 valve and P/N 6492434 spring.

However, there are TWO (2) factory-sanctioned variations of the original oil pump that might be found in Packard vehicle:

* The original/early design for 55-56 modified as part of a confidential field test, with the relief valve bore plugged, the cotter pins holes brazed shut, and the original relief valve purposely scored. Again, this trail was very limited in scope durarion - may not be many of them out there.

* The original/early design for 55-56 modified per STB 56T-20, with the relief valve retainer replaced by a sump tube, held by two roll pins.

So, there it's possible to find any one of FOUR (4) styles of oil pump in a V8 Packard model.

Now, P/N 6480508 is actually the oil pump assembly for the 56J Golden Hawk (Gr. 116, in the Studebaker parts book), which has a flat bottom plate, rather than a separator plate and vacuum pump. The serviceable details show only one relief valve, P/N 445067 (Gr. 117), which is the same as the original pump used in 55-56 Packard vehicle applicataions. Yet, while the Studebaker parts book shows only ONE oil pump for the 56J, Studebaker Service Letter No. 936 recommended installation of the sump tube kit on 56J models and ALSO advised of a new plugged pump design for 56J production - just not listed in their parts book.

So, there's TWO (2) more production verisions and ONE (1) more factory-sanctioned variant.

Throw in the version of the pump for Nash-Hudson vehicle applications and we've got FIVE (5) production versions and THREE (3) factory-sanctioned variations.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 9:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved