Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

caution: '46-50 Service manual, section 4, p25, fig 28
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Windshield removal: If you're trying to save your glass, I don't recommend the method shown in the illustration. Do not use a wood block and screwdriver and push against the glass. There's problems with aged vs new. The gasket is not as pliable and the center divider section is sandwiched between two pieces of metal so receives much more heat and ages faster/becomes harder than the rest of the gasket.
Slowly work around the all the gasket and free the seal from the window and trim before attempting removal. The hardened center section won't give enough as shown and will cause to crack. Use a plastic L shaped trim removal tool and apply force only under the gasket and the body panel, not on the glass. If you're not saving the gasket, I'd suggest to just cut most of it off, first. Careful not to score the glass with knife. Glad I didn't follow procedure for the rear, it's curved.

Posted on: 2014/2/6 16:07
 Top  Print   

Re: caution: '46-50 Service manual, section 4, p25, fig 28
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I removed the front and rear windshields of a 50 Packard by cutting the gaskets from the outside. It worked easily, other than cutting 63 year rubber. Just take a good mat knife and a box of blades and push gently from the inside.

Posted on: 2014/2/6 16:21
 Top  Print   

Re: caution: '46-50 Service manual, section 4, p25, fig 28
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Agreed. If your gaskets are original, or very old (aka petrified), you are not going to be able to save them, and you'll end up breaking the glass trying to get them out whole. If applicable, you have to first remove the lock strip, then use a razor blade from the inside and cut the gasket lip where it sits over the pinch weld. Then you can remove old gasket and glass easily. That is how I removed the front and rear windshields from my '54.

Just have someone help you as you remove the windows. One person on the inside, one on the outside as needed.

Getting the windows out is actually much easier that putting the new ones in!

Posted on: 2014/2/7 16:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved