Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 229

29- 640 Club Sedan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Cross country trip in my future and looking for parts
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
So, after a long hiatus imposed by being stationed in Hawaii and working about 80 hours a week on average, I'm back in the Packard restoration game. I get to haul it from Idaho to upstate New York this summer, and I'm looking for parts. Most specifically, I need a pair of front fenders at a reasonable price that are not mostly bondo. I am also looking for a block that is rebuildable and not too expensive, or an already rebuilt motor for reasonable. My motor works fine, and it will be good for many years, but it has a crack between #5 and #6 cylinders that is a cold leak. I am going to try and patch that with JB Weld, but I'm concerned about the differing rates of thermal expansion causing more damage.

On a completely separate note, I am going to be driving across country and would be interested in seeing your Packard if it's along the way-ish (I could be talked into going pretty far south if the reason was right).

Looking forward to working on the car again!

Posted on: 2014/3/28 3:03
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Re: Cross country trip in my future and looking for parts
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Ken, try checking the Packard Club website for vendors that will be on your route. If you are driving thru the Idaho panhandle to US 90/94, feel free to stop by Billings and I can show you at least my two running Packards - no blocks or fenders but cheap advice available. What year and model is your Packard? I bet someone on this site has some advice and or parts for you.

Posted on: 2014/3/28 8:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Where in upstate NY is your destination? If northeastern NJ was reasonably close to your route I'm sure we could arrange a get-together with some local Packards. I'm about 10 miles south of the western terminus of the Tappan Zee Bridge, just about 1 mile west of the Hudson River.

Posted on: 2014/3/28 8:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
You might also want to schedule a trip to Dayton's Packard museum. There may be an engine available for you, along with other parts. I'll try and check during this coming month's parts sale during their annual Packard weekend event.

Posted on: 2014/3/28 9:20
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Ken

What year and model Packard do you have?

The only word of advice that I can impart to you as you embark on your move to upstate New York is....to bring all the solid body metal and pit-free trim with you from western parts cars....because there isn't any left here!

Know that the damp eastern climate ruins body panels, potmetal and chrome trim unprotected from the weather quicker than you can imagine. Anything that's preserved here has been garaged most of its existance or somehow avoided the relentless tin worms and chrome gremlins.

Steve

Posted on: 2014/3/29 9:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
David- I have a '37 115c that I have started to restore. I'm from Moscow, so the plan is to take I90 most of the way. I'd love to see your cars. I'll be in touch when the time gets closer.

Owen (Dave C)- I am going to be in Saratoga Springs for about two years. I would love to stop by and see you and your Packard, and if it doesn't work out when I go through the first time, I can come back down.

West- I missed you last time I came through, and I am planning a stop in Dayton. Once it's closer and I know dates, I'll pm you to get your phone number so we can meet.

Posted on: 2014/3/29 14:19
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
There was a 39 six cylinder engine and transmission advertised for sale in this months Packard newsletter. It doesn't say anything about condition. Call 740 323 4698 or 740 641 3595.

Posted on: 2014/3/29 16:38
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved