Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

flopperwatcher, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ignition to Coil wiring question
Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
Hi everyone, my 47 has a thick black cable that comes from the ignition switch and hangs down under the dash with a metal flange attached to it. That cable has a wire coming out of it that is about 3" long and has another wire screwed to it and that wire goes thru the firewall to the coil. Can someone tell how that flange attaches to the firewall? The wire coming out of the cable is not long enough to reach the coil terminal, the way it is mounted now. I can't find any pics or wiring diagrams that show this area. Thank you in advance. Richie.

Posted on: 2014/4/21 20:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Ignition to Coil wiring question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The original coil mounted on the firewall and the armored cable and terminal mounted to the rear of the coil which extended into the passenger compartment. You can go to Max Merritt's website and see a photo of the original coil. Delco or Autolite have the same setup but the mounting for the armored cable is different. As you can see, those coils are still available but at about $200, many have just switched to standard coils and have done as the previous owner apparently did -- extend the wire and use a regular coil. You will find aftermarket brackets on ebay occasionally for just that purpose but there is no provision in those brackets for holding the armored cable.

If you have a decent workshop setup or machinist friend, if you wanted to get fancy as I did, it is not that hard to make a bracket to more or less duplicate the original look and mounting method while still using a modern coil.

Attach file:

jpg  (76.98 KB)
209_5355cbd3190a2.jpg 1185X744 px

Posted on: 2014/4/21 20:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Ignition to Coil wiring question
Home away from home
Home away from home

RichieFuller
See User information
HH56, that answers my question very well, thank you. Richie.

Posted on: 2014/4/21 21:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved