Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 225

Packard Don, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1956 Caribbean Dash Plaques with Original Owner's Name
Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
I am looking at reproducing the small stainless steel dash plaques used on some of the 1956 Packard Caribbeans that included the original owner's name. I have an actual plaque now as a model to work from.

I've physically seen two cars with these plaques attached which both were 56 Caribbean 2-dr hardtops, I've also found two other articles on the web that have mentioned their 56 Caribbeans (both convertibles) have these plates attached with Original owner's name included.

My questions are:
1) Does anyone else have a 1956 with this plate attached or the two mounting holes attached where this plate was? Would like to find pictures of where this plate was attached. I do have older photos of a 56 Caribbean hardtop with this plaque attached.

2) Does anyone know the history of these plaques? Factory installed, dealer installed? late cars or early cars only?

3) Do any 55's have them perhaps?

thanks!

Posted on: 2015/2/15 2:24
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 Caribbean Dash Plaques with Original Owner's Name
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I believe OD has the original owners dash plaque on his 56 Caribbean.

Posted on: 2015/2/15 9:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
1. I've seen perhaps a dozen on 56 Caribbean convertibles, they all were brass and glued to the glove box door.

2 I very much doubt they were factory-installed as generally the factory didn't know the name of the initial purchaser. I have no documentation but I'll guess they were supplied loose to the dealer who had the owner's name engraved and then installed it. Some dealers may just not have bothered.

3. I don't recall seeing them on any 55 Caribs; Tex Sorrell's 55 Carib is a very original car and doesn't have one, perhaps ECAnthony can comment on Dan Kanter's 55 Carib, also very original.

The one on my 56 has a bit of a story told to me by the original owner who was a very early Packard enthusiast and PAC member. He was so opposed to the Studebaker-Packard combine that he had a replica plaque made which identified the maker as Packard Motor Car Company and not Studebaker-Packard Corporation. The original brass one was in the glovebox when I bought the car but can't find it just now.

Posted on: 2015/2/15 9:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My 5697 has the stainless version or maybe it is a plated brass and is glued on.
I hesitate to mention as fact since the memory is failing but believe there was a paragraph or two in one of the books on the process for the plaques.

IIRC, (not guaranteed) they were a 56 addition and engraved at the factory. The process was the dealer either sent in a special card or provided the buyers name via other methods. The factory engraved the plaque and usually returned it to the dealer for installation. I believe it mentioned by request the plaque could be returned directly to the customer. Don't recall if there was a turnaround time noted.

Posted on: 2015/2/15 10:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The process was the dealer either sent in a special card or provided the buyers name via other methods. The factory engraved the plaque and usually returned it to the dealer for installation.

HH56, now that you mention it, that does jog my memory and I think you are correct. In any case it was not affixed at the factory except perhaps in the case of a factory delivery.

Posted on: 2015/2/15 10:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
this is a very heavy stainless steel plate with a slight curvature and two large mounting pins, very well built and as well built as the cars themselves, no glue used on these, they even have clips for mounting the pins also

Posted on: 2015/2/15 15:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
this is a very heavy stainless steel plate with a slight curvature and two large mounting pins

Picture, please.

Posted on: 2015/2/15 23:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
1st of three photos

Attach file:

jpg  (12.78 KB)
1060_54e186f9527ab.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/2/16 0:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
2nd of three photos

Attach file:

jpg  (13.75 KB)
1060_54e187387fee8.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/2/16 0:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
third of 3 photos

Attach file:

jpg  (15.10 KB)
1060_54e18770af58d.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/2/16 0:59
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved