Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 123

Todd W. White, Eugene Wescott, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Alignment Specs Suggestions For Radials
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
An alignment is now needed since I installed the power steering.

Since the car also has radials in addition to the power steering does anyone have any suggestions for the alignment specs?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Posted on: 2015/8/22 21:03
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Alignment Specs Suggestions For Radials
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Others might suggest a little tweak from the standard alignment; I didn't deviate from the factory specs but I did do the alignment with weight in the car to simulate the usual passenger/luggage loading and I do recommend doing it this way.

Posted on: 2015/8/23 8:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Owen gives excellent advice about placing weight in the car.
Just go ahead and set the alignment to factory specs aand see how it drives. If you're happy then you're happy.

If u find that the car tends to wander on straight line driving at speeds over 40mph then probably need to set caster POSITIVE instead of negative.

Caster positive is the TOP of king pin setting toward the rear of the car.

I haad to do that on my 56 Exec.to eleminate straight line "hunt".

Posted on: 2015/8/23 13:26
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Do NOT set a zero caster. Very likely to cause shimmy with zero caster especialy at high speed.

My advice on this is NOT Packard specific but is rather general automotive front suspension dynamics for front engine rear wheel drive cars.

Posted on: 2015/8/23 13:29
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Well wait a minute. U installed power steering which are we to assume that car did NOT have power steering to begin with?????

If that is the case then u should only need to set the toe-in and set that to factory specs. U can do that yourself with a tape measure.

Posted on: 2015/8/23 13:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Why did u install the power steering???? Let me guess, the car was very difficult to steer going FORWARD but probably real easy to steer in reverse???

Posted on: 2015/8/23 13:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
The car needed an alignment prior to the modification. The camber is way out (can see it visually).

Yes...I installed a Monroe PS unit. This contraption is an externally mounted hydraulic ram rod that is installed in lieu of the center link (cross tube) and the control valve is integral with the unit and the pitman arm when it is moved by the steering wheel ports the fluid to either side of the actuator.

The pump is a Chrysler 6V generator with a PS pump mounted on the back.

Posted on: 2015/8/23 15:07
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved