Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 208

Oldcaddies , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'41 110 Distributor Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
I am installing a Pertronix Ignitor in my Delco-Remy distributor and notice that there is a noticeable amount of side-to-side play in the distributor shaft. I'm guessing it's around 1/16".

Could this be the reason that my points were giving me so much trouble? I would adjust them to where they would be right in spec, then they would fail to open some time later.

Question 1: Is the Pertronix sensitive to this side play or will it be fine to run as-is? If it is an issue, is there somewhere I can send the distributor to be rebushed?

Question 2: My distributor swivels on it's base mount, meaning I can take the whole thing and twist it clockwise and it rides up in a semi-circular path upward and to the left a significant distance. Is this movement to allow for the vacuum advance? If so, what is the right procedure to set the timing?

Question 3: There is a large round metal knob on the left side of the distibutor that loosens and tightens but doesn't seem to have any effect on anything when I adjust it. What is this for and how should it be set?

Thank you!

Posted on: 2015/9/16 16:00
 Top  Print   

Re: '41 110 Distributor Questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sounds like your distributor oiler (or grease cup) suffered from many years of neglect. Rebushing is easy if you're handy, otherwise have someone like AER or one of the many others listed in Hemmings that offer that service do a rebuilt.

And for maximum reliability I'd avoid the Pertronix and go back to points. Your prior problems with points was almost certainly due to wear in the distributor.

Posted on: 2015/9/16 21:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
Thanks! I didn't know you were supposed to oil a distributor...and what the heck is a "grease cup"?

Posted on: 2015/9/17 0:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Distributors require regular lubrication or you will have exactly the problems you now have. For the shaft bushings they either have an oiler or a grease cup (older models), a screw cap filled with grease that you give a periodic turn to to force the grease into the bushing and shaft. You should also add a few drops of light oil to the felt beneath the rotor each time you change points, this lubricates the slip joint. Many distributors also have a provision to lubricate the mechanism (different of Delco and AutoLite) that rotates the breaker plate with the function of the vacuum advance; some just have a small hole for oil, others (AutoLite) may have a ball bearing between the fixed and moveable plates. Also periodically the breaker plate should be removed and the pivots for the centrifugal advance should be lubricated.

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=861

Posted on: 2015/9/17 0:10
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Bow
See User information
I mean no disrespect sir but is your problem with Pertronix or electronics? I bought a converted distributor for a brand X car 5000 miles ago and love it. The difference in performance on all fronts is superior.
While I'm sure there are some, I'm not aware of any engine built now that uses points.
Just my opinion.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 7:05
Bilbo
1937 120C Sport Coupe

Continuously snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I love electronics and in fact have a Pertronix on my 56 Caribbean - it performs flawlessly. Yet almost everyone I know who had Pertronix in a 6-volt car later removed it and went back to points after multiple roadside "no-start" situations with a hot or warm engine. And one vendor has even stopped selling the 6-volt units. If you use the "search" feature you'll find plenty of posts about the issue - the triggering voltage for Pertronix can easily exceed the available voltage when cranking the engine unless everything is absolutely at the top of it's game.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 8:12
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Bow
See User information
Thank You.
That clears it up perfectly.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 9:24
Bilbo
1937 120C Sport Coupe

Continuously snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved