Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 110

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Torqueflite 727 conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
I have been looking into the ultra torque kit from Sierra Packards. This allows you to use a chrysler toqueflite 727 and bolt it onto the engine. I was wondering if anyone has used this adapter kit and what there experiences with the unit are?

many thanks,
Mathew Rattray

Posted on: 2008/10/27 6:51
 Top  Print 

Re: Torqueflite 727 conversion
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
This is just a start:

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=201&forum=4&post_id=1078#forumpost1078

Also do a search on "727" or "700r4" or other similar strings.

After digesting all of this i think u will be more than convinced to stay with the stick shift.

HOWEVER, if u ultimately decide to change to an automatic i will be interesed in buying the flywheel, belhousing, pressure plate and clutch linkage from u so i can convert my Twin Ultramatic to a 4 or 5 spd with OD.

Posted on: 2008/10/27 10:34
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
I was recently at an AZ. region PI breakfast talking to a member about his torque flight conversion on his V-8 car. Unfortunately, his feedback on the ordeal was not so great. The original adapter was not concentric with the crankshaft. This resulted in a damaged torque converter and input shaft. A different adapter was then sent and it was ok. This fellow had to pay for another converter because his first was damaged, as well as paying the shop to change the defective parts. This little quality control problem cost him $800 + dollars additional.

With that said, now that the bugs are worked out, and the money is spent, he reports it works very well. A 727 torque flight is a very durable reliable transmission. I would think this would be a viable conversion.

Many individuals here report that the original Ultramatic can be properly maintained and provide reliable service. I had a 51 200 with Ultramatic that worked fine.

It was no rocket ship, but I have never been in a Packard street race!

Posted on: 2008/10/27 11:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Many of us need an overdrive. Otherwise i would not consider a conversion. Definately NOT consider any automatic trans conversion without an OD.

Posted on: 2008/10/27 13:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
if you want overdrive, how about a chrysler A518? thats basicaly a 727 plus overdrive.

Posted on: 2008/10/27 13:58
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Just for completeness, somebody in CA makes a 700R4 conversion for the 55-56 Packard and somebody in TX makes a TH400 conversion. Both of these entail machining the original case in a jig instead of an adapter, which could be out of concentric.

Craig

Posted on: 2008/10/27 15:18
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the info for the 700R4 but I don't know if still valid. IIRC when all this was being discussed on AACA forum, someone called and was told the person that had been doing the conversion was no longer there & things had been suspended. I think this was approx 1 yr ago so maybe changed by now. For my 2 bits, a better way to go than the adapter route.
http://www.mikestransmissions.com/Classics/UltraOD.html

The TH400 is done by:

JACK NORDSTROM
4975 IH-35 SOUTH
NEW BRAUNFELS TEXAS 78132

He has some picts on the Golden Hawk site:
http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/

For some reason I can't link directly to his info but it is under Options, Technical Items, TH400 Conversion.

Posted on: 2008/10/27 16:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Thanks for the links to the 700R4 and TH400 conversions.

If I went with an automatic, my first choice would be 700R4 because of the OD.

On my Panther (yes, it's still alive, but development is slow), I have gathered up all the parts to convert to 4/5/6 speed manual (TBD).

Craig

Posted on: 2008/10/27 21:11
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
FWIW, the 200-4R can be made to be a much better transmission swap than the 700R4. The ratio spread is closer and it is physically smaller. I've done both and wouldn't do another 700R4.

thnx, jack vines

Posted on: 2008/10/27 21:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Jack. What kind of automatic was used in the 56J from the factory????

Posted on: 2008/10/27 21:45
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved