Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 233

Don B, Vaughan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Sparks
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
The battery on my Clipper went dead. Probably from sitting to long. I hooked up the charger and because I am impatient, I set it to engine boost. I got in the car and turned the starter. There was a huge arc and then nada. I inspected the battery and found the positive cable from the charger got welded to the battery post. I tried charging the battery on slow charge but the battery evidently got cooked. I have an alternator on the car and am thinking it may have fried also. Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2016/1/14 22:51
 Top  Print   

Re: Sparks
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd start by buying and installing a new battery and you can then judge if the alternator has been damaged.

Posted on: 2016/1/14 23:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I was thinking I had a short somewhere that didn't show up til I turned the starter. Starter motor or something associated with it. I bought a new battery yesterday and will put it in this weekend. Hope I don't short that one out also.

Posted on: 2016/1/14 23:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It kind of sounds like the charger polarity may have been incorrect to the battery. If so I would be surprised if the diodes in the alternator survived.

Posted on: 2016/1/14 23:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Put the new battery in today. Everything seems ok. Alternator is working. I don't get it!

Posted on: 2016/1/19 19:43
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved