Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 207

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

exhaust manifold line to the fuel pump?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DBeck
See User information
I just saw this this afternoon and wonder what the reason for this line is, I had never seen this before. Also my 49 has a windshield washer on it but not sure how it operates???

Thanks guys
Dave Beck

Posted on: 2016/1/26 20:23
 Top  Print   

Re: exhaust manifold line to the fuel pump?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's the source of vacuum for any vacuum-operated system and it passes thru the vacuum booster section of the fuel pump such that, during periods of hard acceleration when manifold vacuum is very low, the booster ups the available vacuum.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 20:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Assuming it is a factory supplied or installed or at least a correct type washer for the year then there could be two ways to operate it. It depends on where the vacuum source is connected and the type of washer.

One system has the vacuum source independent and connected somewhere in the tube between the fuel pump vacuum section and the wiper motor. Most likely with a tee in the short section of hose right before the motor. That tube will go to a pushbutton under the dash edge and then another tube goes from the button to the washer top. On that type you hold the button until the water is pulled into the pump section. Releasing the button lets a spring push a diaphragm down and expel the water. Once the water starts squirting you turn on the wipers.

On the second type, the vacuum tube going to top of washer connects to a port on the drivers side of the windshield wiper motor. There is only one vacuum tube and no pushbutton. On that type the wiper on/off knob on the side of steering column rotates both ways. Rotating toward the dash operates the wiper. Rotating backwards toward the driver and holding it there opens a valve on the wiper motor and lets vacuum pass from the vacuum port to the washer. You hold the knob for a few seconds then rotate it forward. Once the knob starts moving forward water will start to squirt and you keep rotating forward to turn the wipers on.

If both types have been dry and unused for 50 years there is a good chance the rubber has all deteriorated and nozzles clogged.

Posted on: 2016/1/26 20:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DBeck
See User information
That is cool....never thought of that.
Thanks,

Posted on: 2016/1/26 20:46
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DBeck
See User information
Mine is the one that has the vaccum hose connect to the top of the washer bottle from the drivers side of the windshield wiper. My wiper control knob is in the center of the dash up in the "V" part of the windshield. I have not tried turning it backwards, I do know my wipers work and there is fluid in the bottle so maybe the washer will to thanks so much.
Dave

Posted on: 2016/1/26 20:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved