Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 231

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Correct coil spring part number for 41 160
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan Marrin
See User information
I am trying to determine the proper Packard part number for the front coil springs for my 1941 160 Rollson. The 4dr "high hat" Rollson body number 702 was placed on a 1903 127" wb chassis, and it has dual side mounts. I suspect that the Rollson body would most closely equate to the Packard body number 1472 4dr touring sedan.

I have a company that will manufacture new springs for my car, but they need the appropriate Packard part number to insure that they follow the correct specifications for my car. I thought that I would be able to pinpoint the proper part number when Kevin recently posted the 1935-41 Parts List, but I can't seem to locate the definitive part number for the spring that should be correct for my car.

I would appreciate any help from someone who is more adept at deciphering the parts list data than I am.

Posted on: 2008/11/7 0:27
Dan Marrin
Summers; Breezy Point, MN, Winters; The Villages, FL
'48 Sup8 conv, '48 Sup8Del LWB sed, '58 Hawk.
 Top  Print   

Re: Correct coil spring part number for 41 160
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dan,

Not sure if it helps or not. But on pages 296-297 on the 35-41 Parts List, it lists the following same parts numbers and specs for all the models on the 1903-1906 Chassis (except the Darrin Victoria):

P/N TYPE LOAD RATE COLOR
335692 (STD) 1750 77 Red & Silver
338166 (FWE) 1870 90 Yellow & Silver

So based on that, I would imagine that 335692 would be correct P/N.

Posted on: 2008/11/7 0:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan Marrin
See User information
Kev:

Thanks for the quick response. I noted the info you cited on the top of page 297 (page 16 of the pdf scan for Group 14) pertaining to chassis #'s 1903-1906. However I wasn't sure which number to look at; the one that is followed by STD, which I assume means standard, or FWE, which I am not sure how to interpret. I understand that the springs are designed very specifically for the weight of the front end, which can be significantly more with the side mounts, and am not quite sure if this chart is specific enough to my vehicle, which is closest in design to a body number 1472 4dr 5 pass sedan which is not listed on this chart.

There is also a reference to front springs on page 10 (page 12 of the pdf scan of the Intro) which lists several parts numbers for various loads, rate and free lengths, that pertain to several different chassis models, however this info is also not definitive to my vehicle.

Perhaps if I had the owner's manual for the 1941 160, which I don't, it might list the coil spring loads for the various body styles on a 1903 chassis and I could then get the corresponding part number from that list?

I want to make sure I give them the correct part number so that my front end won't end up sitting up too high or down too low.

Posted on: 2008/11/7 1:35
Dan Marrin
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dan,

With yours being a custom body, I am not sure that the Owner's manual would offer anything specific to the Rollson models.

I always thought the complete chassis with drivetrain were delivered to the coach builders. So wouldnt that mean it left Packard with the springs in place? Unless Rollson specified a different spring, or changed them once they arrived at their facility, then I would think all the 1903 Chassis were the same based upon the information in the Parts List(except the Darrin as noted).

Posted on: 2008/11/7 1:57
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
FWE = fender well equipped, i.e. 6 wheel with sidemounts so your Rollson should have the yellow/silver spring (higher capacity) for the extra weight.

EDIT: To be more precise, FWE meant fender well equipment, not fender well equipped. Small point but it deserves correction.

Posted on: 2008/11/7 9:06
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan Marrin
See User information
Owen:

Thanks for deciphering the FWE code for me, and all the help you have given me in researching the origin and history of my Rollson. I will assume, as Kevin did, that the 1903 chassis was delivered to Rollson with the coil springs in place and that they did not install anything different than what would have come with the chassis.

I'll go with the yellow/silver part number 338166.

Thanks again to both you and Kevin for chiming in.

Posted on: 2008/11/7 9:57
Dan Marrin
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I think your assumption is correct that what was delivered to Rollston was a complete running chassis. But I'm not sure just a chassis, which was usually complete with sheet metal and trim to and including the front windshield was available as late as 1941. The 2 1941 Rollsons I've seen (the ex-Kevin Gaffney 160 swb panel and one other) were delivered as sedans and the majority of the body removed and discarded. But if the original VN tag is present, it will tell you as a naked chassis would be stamped 1903-XXXX where as if it shipped as a sedan for conversion it would start with the body style number.

EDIT: Perhaps I should have used an example of how the VN number will help explain whether a running chassis + nose was delivered, or a sedan subsequently cut off and modified. The car is a 1940 "180" with a one-off body by Derham. The patent plate VN starts "1807 (the chassis #) + the chassis sequence #, not the expected 1342-xxxx if it were delivered as a factory bodied car to be modified by Derham.

Posted on: 2008/11/7 11:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved