Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 218

Don B, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

value lash
Home away from home
Home away from home

Lonny
See User information
I have a 1934 320 cu in engine would like to know what the hot and cold value lash is?

Posted on: 2016/2/19 18:37
 Top  Print   

Re: value lash
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard only issued hot specs as that's the best way to get a really precise adjustment. If you want to set cold and guess at a correction for stem expansion don't forget these valves have a longer than typical stem length. I recommend you set them hot to factory specs, 0.004 intake and 0.006 exhaust.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 19:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
.004 intake and .006 exhaust - with a warm engine should work.

However, it is important to understand that tappets will develop a wear recess which is not easily measured so if the engine is old the recess may create misleading results.

Posted on: 2016/2/19 19:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Lonny
See User information
thank you

Posted on: 2016/2/21 10:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I do it with the engine running; though it gets cramped consider a helper, one to man the tappet wrenches, another with the feeler gauges. And set the engine to as low an idle speed as it can comfortable do, makes it easier. Not the most pleasant job but you only have to do it every 20,000 miles or so.

Posted on: 2016/2/21 10:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I always preferred to not run clearances too tight as that can cause compression problems, but when I checked the clearances running I would check to see what gauge would fit, record the result on paper, and adjust with the motor off. That avoids the oily mess and burns.

For example: if running clearance on valve #1 is .008 then reduce the clearance by .002 with the motor off.

This method avoids problems with where the cam lobe is because it simply reduces an existing clearance.

As for what is a "clearance" the gauge should slide readily with only a slight feel of drag.

As mentioned, all of this is academic in the absence of precisely milled tappets. When Packard built those motors the valve guides were bored in a mill to be precisely perpendicular to the individual tappets. This is beyond the resources of almost all motor rebuilders and why those motors were dead silent when new.

Posted on: 2016/2/21 16:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved