Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
72 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 72

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How do you compress the small springs? 23 series
Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Bought new hood lever to cowl grommets as mine are missing.
Took some arm loose got the retainer washer off and then decided everything looks dirty. Took it apart, both arms and the rod. Cleaned and painted them. Got the new grommet in place, the washer went back on with a little persuasion. Here is the frustration, I had a heck of time compressing the spring enough to get back into place. Used a treaded rod with lots of washers. Have some really tough, waxed string and was able to get the rear one on (Of course made a big mess of my paint job). Tried the same thing with the front spring, but it won't be tied! Made a mess of that paint job too!
Any ideas? I have tried cable ties down through the coils, but they won't hold either. How in the heck do you get them back in there?
Thanks,
Barry
The arrow shows the new cowl grommet

Attach file:

jpg  (96.23 KB)
67700_56e4de2089501.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (96.05 KB)
67700_56e4de3eb4091.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2016/3/12 22:29
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

Re: How do you compress the small springs? 23 series
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Been awhile but I kind of levered them up into position using a scrap piece of 1" wide x 1/8 thick flat steel bar about 8-10" long.

Kind of complicated to describe but basically used the pin to hold top end of spring while messing with the bottom end. Inserted pin in the cam a small amount to hold the spring at an angle but in position at the top. With the pin holding the top of spring, placed the bottom of spring on the flat bar and then held it on the bar while placing the end of bar on the rotating cam. Raised the far end of flat bar up with one hand to compress the spring and at the same time used the other hand to hold the spring on the bar and bar on cam while sliding spring into position as the bar raised. Once the spring was straight the pin dropped down to mostly hold things while I pulled the bar out. You do have to work the bar out while still holding the spring in position. I left my cam natural color with a coat of clear epoxy covering but to protect your black paint you could put some tape under the bar.

Anyway, hope the process is clear as mud. It was worse trying to describe it than it was doing it.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 23:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: How do you compress the small springs? 23 series
Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Oh Great idea! I have an old nail bar I can grind down.
Don't worry you explanation was just perfect.
I'll try this this afternoon.
Thanks Howard!
Barry

Posted on: 2016/3/13 9:39
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved