Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 199

flackmaster, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel Gauge Shoots Up To Full
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

ThePackRat
See User information
Me again, My fuel gauge reads passed the full line. When I turn it off it goes back down. Its been staying at that spot for the past 3 days. Not sure if it's a bad sending unit or faulty wiring. I haven't had a problem before. As soon as I turn the car back on it shoots up to full again.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 9:34
2292 49 touring
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel Gauge Shoots Up To Full
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Probably a bad sending unit or the wire between the unit and the gauge has found a ground.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 9:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe you have a 48 so the sending unit is not a pure resistance type. It is bimetal which has a heater working a bimetal strip in the sending unit. The output is an on or off type operation. Fuel level changes pressure on the bimetal resulting in longer or shorter periods between the on/off cycles. The gauge responds by its heater moving a bimetal connected to the needle when on and stopping when off. That makes it hard to troubleshoot. You do not want to leave the gauge pegged or it could burn out.

It is most likely that the sender is the issue but the wire for the sender goes thru a small hole in the trunk floor at the extreme rear near the latch striker. Then continues over the top of tank to the sender. The hole should have a grommet to protect the wire from floor sheetmetal but it could have deteriorated letting the wire short as it goes thru the hole. Check that spot and also the route above the tank where shifting might have pinched it. Otherwise the wire goes overhead above the headliner along with the tail light wires. That length is not too susceptible to damage until it drops out of the left windshield pillar and goes on to gauge. If wire is still the old fabric type a chunk of insulation could have fallen off in that stretch and wire could have touched metal.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 9:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Also,a heavy load in the middle of the trunk can cause the floor sheet metal to contact the terminal on the sending unit and ground it out.
There should be a rubber boot covering the connection but it may have deteriorated over time.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 11:27
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

ThePackRat
See User information
You guys are awesome... I followed my wiring down to the tank, seemed fine but replaced it anyway. It didn't fix the gauge, however, I did just recently move my tool box and extras to the middle of my trunk. Pulled them out turned the key and presto! It's fixed! I applied some weight by hand, seems some metal work is in order here 😞 Thanks guys!

Posted on: 2016/4/6 14:11
2292 49 touring
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Slip a thin sheet of rubber between the sensor and the trunk floor pan unless you want to drop the tank and do something more elegant.

Posted on: 2016/4/6 14:52
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved