Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
237 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 236

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ohm reading at full and empty of gas tank sending unit 1938 packard 12 Club Sedan
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Jones Jr.
See User information
I need to know if anyone knows what the readings are for this sending unit. Tanks sells new ones but need to onow what full and empty readings should be.

Thanks.
Willie J

Posted on: 2016/4/16 18:27
 Top  Print   

Re: Ohm reading at full and empty of gas tank sending unit 1938 packard 12 Club Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Perhaps someone can measure their sender but if the twelve is like most Packards, unless the sender is already out of the car that is quite a project.

Motor Manual, Eleventh edition, says the twelve used Moto Meter gauges and another source says Stewart-Warner and Atwater-Kent is also a possibility. All used a straight resistance type sender -- unlike some gauges which used heater and bimetal type senders. Cannot say on the MM but if S-W, I suspect it will be the same obsolete range that was used on some models thru 1947 -- 100 ohms empty, 0 ohms full. If that is the case, the modern sender that is closest is the GM unit of 0 empty and 90 ohms full. While you can reverse the unit so 0 is at the full end, that one will not work because the gauge never drops below approx 1/8 of a tank.

Modern resistance ranges for various brands are quite different so finding an aftermarket or universal sender in that old range that will adapt to the tank is all but futile. If the company you mention will custom make a sender that is a different story. If that is the case would appreciate more details on the company as others could be in the same fix.

There is one company that does advertise custom making senders for the old gauges and they would probably know the range for your car. No idea if they would share unless you buy their sender but maybe worth an inquiry.http://www.mykmlifestyle.com/KM_Lifestyle_Fuel_Senders.html

If all else fails and the gauge portion is working you could buy some fixed resistors or a 1 or 2 watt linear potentiometer of around 150 ohms off ebay and get a fair idea of the range. Hook the resistance up between the sender wire and ground and then adjust until the gauge reads empty and full. Measure the two points. There is a slight chance the ohm range could be higher than 100 -- the modern high end S-W range is over 200 ohms -- but don't think they went that high in those early years.

Posted on: 2016/4/17 10:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Ohm reading at full and empty of gas tank sending unit 1938 packard 12 Club Sedan
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Jones Jr.
See User information
Howard

I have a call in to the company who rebuilt my gauges about cost of rebuilding my sending unit for my 38 Packard 12. Their name is Williamsons Instruments, are in Chester, AR,
Phone is 479 369 2551. The name of the owner is Ron.
Will let you know what I find out.

Also shave a call in to the company you referenced. They show a different unit for 36 to 38 apackard 12. Do not know what brand is in my car

Posted on: 2016/4/19 11:41
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Jones Jr.
See User information
Howard

I heard from Ron at Williamsons instruments and he advised my instruments are Stewart Warner. He can rebuild about any sending unit for a fuel tank. Cost varies by what repair is need3d vi am s3ndingbmy unit to him.

Posted on: 2016/4/22 20:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved