Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 77

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

How to remove horn button from 38 Packard 12
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Jones Jr.
See User information
I need to know how to remove the horn button from the steering wheel of my 38 Packard 12 Club sedan. I have been told to push in on it and rotate counter clockwise. I have tried both clockwise and counter clockwise and it will not release. there are not any screws holding it in place like my 41 has.
Any help would be appreciated.

Williej

Posted on: 2016/4/19 11:58
 Top  Print   

Re: How to remove horn button from 38 Packard 12
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
My 38 super 8 is pretty loose; I can honk the horn while I turn right with the steering wheel and it pops off.

Posted on: 2016/4/19 12:07
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Jones Jr.
See User information
I ask a simple sincere question and you seem to think your stupid response is cute. If you can explain it why dont you try to do so instead of telling me you cant understand it for me. That is if you are smart enough to give a straight answer.

Posted on: 2016/4/22 20:00
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Jones Jr.
See User information
I ask a simple sincere question and you seem to think your stupid response is cute. If you can explain it why dont you try to do so instead of telling me you cant understand it for me. That is if you are smart enough to give a straight answer.

Posted on: 2016/4/22 20:00
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Jones Jr.
See User information

Posted on: 2016/4/22 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I was not trying to be a smart@$$, just trying to explain how easy my horn button pops off. There's hardly any effort necessary.
Im sorry if you felt I didn't take you serious, but it's an honest answer. My 38 is in town for a paint job otherwise I would take it apart and send you a picture.

Posted on: 2016/4/22 20:40
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Someone with a 38 can better answer if the piece in question is present but the poor quality cutaway drawing in parts manual looks as if there might be one of the sponge rubber cushions under the button like is used on some of the postwar emblems which push down and rotate to release. That sponge rubber is supposed to put a bit of pressure on the button so it is forced back against the locking tabs and can't rotate or rattle.

On postwar at least that sponge rubber can deteriorate and almost turn into a gooey glue like mass. There is supposed to be a piece of heavy waxed paper between the sponge rubber and emblem but sometimes that has disappeared over the years. If that is the case and the sponge rubber has melted it can effectively glue the button so it can't push down or rotate. Any chance that is a possibility?

Posted on: 2016/4/22 21:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Evening...I have a 23 series and when I want to remove the plastic horn button I put two big pieces of duct tape on the horn button and pull to the left, and then I can turn it in a counter clockwise direction. If the horn button rotates then you can pull it out with the same tape that you used to make it rotate. Ernie, Care Taker of 'Miss Prudence'.

Posted on: 2016/4/22 22:11
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved