Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'54 Convertible Windshield Washer
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nmbecker
See User information
I am working through some inoperative gauges and accessories on the new purchase. The windshield washer jar is not wired. The wiring diagram in the Service Manual does not show this accessory. What is the proper wiring scenario? Thanks.

Posted on: 2016/7/11 11:40
 Top  Print   

Re: '54 Convertible Windshield Washer
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The wiper switch provides a ground for the washer and I believe all 54s should have the electric style wiper switch. The electric washer was an option though so maybe not and your car might have the earlier type switch. You do need to verify there is a short pigtail wire attached to the switch that the washer can plug into. If a washer was never installed it is probably coiled up just inside the bottom of the shroud. In addition, there is a black button in the center of knob. On non washer equipped cars it probably will not move. The non moving black button changes out to one that you can push in which completes the ground circuit when pushed. If you have the mechanical switch used 53 and earlier then you will need to find the proper switch and knob or provide a pushbutton somewhere else to supply a ground for the washer.

The washer should have two wires connecting to the solenoid (black cap for 6v washers, red for 12v). They may be short pigtails and if so there is another 3-4 ft long 2 wire harness which brings those wires inside the car. If yours is missing you will have to make or find one. One wire goes to the aux breaker on back of cluster for the voltage and the other wire connects to the pigtail coming from switch for the ground.

Here are some instructions for installing the 54 washer which may help. Part of the instructions are cut off each sheet but there is overlap between the 3 so it appears complete.. Still, a bit hard to read but maybe the illustrations are enough. It appears the black wire went to the circuit breaker. Function wise, it doesn't really matter which wire goes where but if the wires already have a terminal on the end that might determine which wire went to a particular location.

Attach file:

jpg  (151.23 KB)
209_5783dac1e2344.jpg 850X1170 px

jpg  (144.87 KB)
209_5783dace65e8d.jpg 832X1104 px

jpg  (152.86 KB)
209_5783dad93f04a.jpg 848X1104 px

Posted on: 2016/7/11 12:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: '54 Convertible Windshield Washer
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nmbecker
See User information
Thank you. My switch does have the moveable center button. I will have to trace some wiring.

Posted on: 2016/7/11 13:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved