Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 161

Gary Kulp, Alvin14, moodydavid16, Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Servicing Electro-Hydraulic Reservoir
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nmbecker
See User information
I am servicing a recently acquired '54 Convertible. The service manual says when refilling the reservoir to have the windows lowered. My car does not have power windows but obviously has a power top which is not mentioned in the service instructions. Does it make any difference if the top is up or down when I remove the bail from the reservoir to clean and refill?

Posted on: 2016/8/8 10:58
 Top  Print   

Re: Servicing Electro-Hydraulic Reservoir
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not really but IMO, down would be better. There is a minimal amount of fluid displaced by the rods and if the top is down and rods retracted that sends the non rod side which is the most amount of fluid that the cylinders can hold back to the reservoir.

The point of having the windows down and seat back is because those cylinders only fill or empty. You want to ensure as much as possible of the fluid in the cylinders has returned to the reservoir. That way when you refill or add more you do not overfill the reservoir and cause any excess to spill out if you did put all the windows down.

With just having the top there is sufficient space that the slight difference between up and down because of the rod displacement won't cause any issues.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 11:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

nmbecker
See User information
Isn't there a fill line in the reservoir so as to avoid overfilling?

Posted on: 2016/8/8 11:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is. IIRC the fill line is somewhere around 2/3 of the reservoir. If you add to the fill line and all the windows were up then when you open one or two windows and send their contents back to the reservoir the excess 1/3 space left in the reservoir would quickly be filled and overflow.

As I mentioned, with the top only it is not that important because the few ounces difference between top up and top down is well within the safe space. The point of cleaning and refilling is to get as much of the old fluid changed as possible so the top down sends the bigger quantity of the old fluid back.

Posted on: 2016/8/8 11:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved