Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 169

Guscha, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Dual master cylinder for Series 23
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
Does anyone make a dual master cylinder for a Series 23 (and similar models)? I am getting scared that a minor brake fluid leak causes a total loss of braking! The original master cylinder has mounting bolts through the cylinder.

Posted on: 2016/12/10 13:58
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Re: Dual master cylinder for Series 23
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Several have done it but I believe all built an adapter plate to utilize the original frame holes to mount the plate and then added the necessary studs or holes to the plate for attaching a new cylinder chosen from several different models. There was a fellow selling his 22-23 series who posted just last week that he had installed a dual by making an adapter. I don't recall anyone posting a photo or plans showing exactly what was used and how they have done it.

Posted on: 2016/12/10 14:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
I for one would like to see this also.

Posted on: 2016/12/10 16:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Me for two

Posted on: 2016/12/10 19:38
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
not the same as yours but mine is under floor and oem master is mounted to frame . I made my first template from cardboard to make sure bracket would fit. Next test piece from thin steel from furnace duct scrap. Final piece is made of steel which mounts master cylinder onto bracket. Bracket bolts to frame in holes which mounted factory master cylinder. location of bracket was determined by the location of piston on new master (which I used from AMC car with drum brakes). The adjustable rod I used was made from a grage 8 bolt and clevis I got from McMaster Carr. The angle bracket on front of master cylinder was added because the hole in OEM linkage was present and I figured it would not hurt to have extra brace. There is a company that makes kit for my car but after looking at it and the price decided I would build my own. I did have to enlarge the hole in the floor to check fluid from above. Has been in use for about three years no trouble yet. Now I don't have to worry about failure from single master .

Attach file:

jpg  (234.32 KB)
252_584da8f20caf0.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (248.94 KB)
252_584da9068e04b.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (383.92 KB)
252_584da94d4c556.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (272.72 KB)
252_584da96b1b2e4.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2016/12/11 14:33
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Yarddog
See User information
I'm looking at the same situation where the factory setup just screams "whoa" when you hit the brake pedal. I built a mid 50's pick-up where I used a remote fill unit and fabricated a Master Cylinder cap with dual fluid inlets. But I see your pictures and I don't see a proportioning valve...is there one or wasn't it needed? Thanks for your pictures....I already fired up my welder!

Posted on: 2016/12/15 9:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
My car has drum brakes still the master cylinder I used has the same diameter bore as the original. There was no proportioning valve between front and rear when the car was made never had a problem with rear wheel lookup. More than satisfied with results. Another benefit is the satisfaction of doing it myself from design, manufacture install and use. Have made another which is on my brothers car. The only difference was master cylinder he used. My lines had a junction block on opposite side of frame from master cylinder where I connected line to front brakes and rears

Posted on: 2016/12/15 16:21
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
May just need a brake job.
Kanter sells a repop master for the 23. I have one. The cap gasket material seeped, otherwise was OK. It's a drop in.
These are not speedsters. I found the factory braking very adequate but had totally replaced my system including new lines. (shoes and drums were in excellent shape as received but I checked/adjusted each wheel) Adjustment is a continuous process with these non-self adjusting brakes.
Others have had masters resleeved/rebuilt by rebuilders and report good results also.
If you change motors or otherwise, upgrade the HP, or carry heavy loads (car full of people) it maybe necessary for good braking but stock is fine*, if maintained.
If they weren't available, I'd recommend to change to modern. But only you can gauge how long your going to own and drive it and how much time and money to spend.
* - single brakes do not conform to the current HSA regs but as always, they are grandfathered as manufactured, unless some recall or ban was placed. If you have an state inspection system, that'll supercede.
It's a sketchy situation whether self modified/installed is "OK" or not, even if it's "better". If you modify and something happens and goes to court, you'd probably lose unless you're a certified auto mechanic. I could've done my other car, but sent to a shop and used off the shelf parts for that reason. I can't take the liability in my situation.

Posted on: 2016/12/19 10:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Posted for DaveB845. Here is one view of the Wilwood dual master installed in his 23 series. Perhaps when the weather is more cooperative he can get some others sowing the pedal and mounting in a bit more detail. The same photo and one showing the rear of the front disc conversion is in his 1950 standard 8 4 door thread.

Attach file:

jpg  (243.28 KB)
209_585803bcd5c2d.jpg 1632X1224 px

Posted on: 2016/12/19 10:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved