Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
250 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 250

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

(about to be) The Man Who Owns One - 1955 Packard Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
So I think after 20 years of fawning over Packards, and especially 55's & 56's (though I do love all Packards) I am about to get mine.

Put a deposit down on this beauty (in the PDF attached) on the 23rd. Going with a friend (who is a collector) on the 26th to inspect the vehicle just to be sure it is everything it appears to be. I'm just lucky it happens to be in my own backyard!

I don't have an image of the data plate yet, but once I do I will enter it into the registry. I've been reading for forum (for nearly a decade) and I know of only one major "to do" once I get the car: replace the BTV. I understand there are two schools of thought replace vs. rebuild. I want to remain as stock as possible BUT remaining stock doesn't take priority of driving enjoyment & safety. It's gonna be a test of my abilities as it will probably the most complex mechanical undertaking I have ever attempted - but I enjoy learning how to do this and get a lot of satisfaction of being able to say I did it myself.

With that in mind are there any other immediate things I should be doing with this Packard? Anything I should specifically look for during my inspection?

I'm already going in with the mindset to be sure the Ultramatic & TorsionLevel are operation properly and that the oil pump will probably have to be converted as well.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 1,520.58 KB; Hits: 43

Posted on: 2016/12/25 10:47
 Top  Print   

Re: (about to be) The Man Who Owns One - 1955 Packard Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Congratulations thats a very nice Christmas present!

Posted on: 2016/12/25 11:07
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It does appear to be a decent car. One of the less commonly seen Patricians with manual windows. The upholstery looks redone and even though the original jacquard style fabric was probably not easily found or was way too expensive for the redo the choice they made still looks quite presentable.

Check for rust in the usual spots -- rocker panels, the corners of wheel wells, front floors at the junction to the angled portion where wet feet would normally land and, in case the trunk lid rubber has leaked, the trough at the extreme rear where the trunk floor meets the vertical panel just below the lid opening. On 55-6 also check around the "eyebrows" just above the headlights. Road slush can get thrown up and sit on a kind of flat shelf. 55 is not quite as bad as the 56 because the eyebrows are shorter and less pointed but still vulnerable.

Posted on: 2016/12/25 11:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Looks to be a nice Patrician, exercise all the advice given. I seem to recall this car was discussed here at one time when it was determined it has a '55 Clipper 320 c.i. engine. Check the engine number when you inspect it. The engine serial numbers by series are in the Model Info section, best to take them along in notes.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/12/25 13:29
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
oh, very interesting. I wonder why someone would put a Clipper engine in it.

Posted on: 2016/12/25 13:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Pictures of the engine bay show the correct ivory color but I can't see if it has the proper embossing on the valve coves.

Attach file:

jpg  (240.89 KB)
378_58601a3258b25.jpg 1920X1079 px

jpg  (240.70 KB)
378_58601a3bacb3d.jpg 1920X1079 px

Posted on: 2016/12/25 14:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Trevor K

Probably the Patrician 352 engine either needed a rebuild or was damaged or 'sick' and the Clipper 320 was readily available, cheap and ready to install.

You shouldn't dismiss buying it because of this, just make your deal taking this into account, if it checks out to be so. Most likely, you'd notice little difference in drivability, might not be quite the 'hot rod' at the stoplight but that's not why one buys a Packard anyway.

Make sure you check the engine series serial number, don't depend on my memory, I may not be correct, could be confusing this '55 Patrician with another one.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/12/25 14:15
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...don't depend on my memory ...

-> This way please to a 1955 Patrician with Clipper engine.

Posted on: 2016/12/25 14:22
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
I'll definitely check it out, thanks I probably would have overlooked it had you not said anything. I wouldn't dismiss the vehicle if it did have a Clipper engine, I would just adjust my price. Also, you're right - you don't purchase a Packard if you're looking for a hotrod.

Posted on: 2016/12/25 14:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
@ Guscha I was just reading that, but I thought they concluded that due to the casting number it was a 352 not a 320.

Posted on: 2016/12/25 14:26
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved