Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 238

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939 Packard Custom Car Radio with Automatic Tuning
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
For any of you that has a 1939 Packard Custom Car Radio with Automatic Tuning, I have about a dozen of these Owner's Manuals and will give them away for free. Just send me a SASE (PM me for the address) and I will send it one to you.

The booklet is 5.5" x 8.5" so it needs to be an envelope that will fit that without having to fold it.

Attach file:

jpg  (99.01 KB)
1_589b232e6fc1a.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2017/2/8 8:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 Packard Custom Car Radio with Automatic Tuning
Home away from home
Home away from home

DrMorbius
See User information
I had no idea there was automatic tuning in 1939. I thought Cadillac was first in 1952. As Mr. Spock would say, "Fascinating!"

Posted on: 2017/2/9 12:10
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Four of them already spoken for. Please let me know if you want one. I think I have six left.

Posted on: 2017/2/9 12:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I had no idea there was automatic tuning in 1939. I thought Cadillac was first in 1952. As Mr. Spock would say, "Fascinating!"

I wonder if Packards 39 use of the description "automatic tuning" is the same as the automatic tuning we think of for 52. The 39 offering had push buttons which activated a motor in the control box which moved a 7 position switch and selected individually set tuning components for one of six preselects. The 7th position was selected when the manual tuning button was pushed and returned the radio circuitry to the mechanical capacitor operated by the tuning knob.

In 52 I believe Packard and Cadillac both used essentially the same Delco signal seeking or what I would call an automatic tuning radio. Just a single bar you pushed to automatically select the next available strong station. When the bar was pushed circuitry released a pin so a spring could unwind via a governor mechanism and move the needle and tuning capacitor. When a strong station was sensed circuitry engaged the pin again to stop the spring motor and station was selected. Pushing the bar again while the needle was in motion would also stop the action. When the needle reached the end of the dial a switch was activated and a large solenoid returned the mechanism to the start position and reset the spring for the repeat action. Cadillac went one farther by also having a foot switch located IIRC, above the dimmer switch so the hands never had to leave the steering wheel.

There was something in one of the books about Nance ordering a customized version of that radio for the 53 models. I believe that was the addition of the 5 manual button selections as well as the signal seeking function. Not sure if Cadillac had that or if it was exclusive to Packard for one year.

Posted on: 2017/2/9 12:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved