Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

cuno auto-klean oil filter
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Hello all,

I came across a NOS Cuno Auto-Klean permanent oil filter that had "Packard '30-'37" marked on the box. Apparently, these type of "metal cleanable edge" filters are still being manufactured for industrial use. Although I've read the sheet on these, I don't really understand how they work. Can anyone explain? Here is the link:http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/499342O/cunotm-ef-eg-egs-self-cleaning-metal-filters.pdf?&fn=CUNO%20EG_EGS.pdf

Posted on: 2017/6/12 22:02
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: cuno auto-klean oil filter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From the description of construction where there are stacked plates with spacers of a certain size between the plates it sounds as if a particle over that certain size cannot enter the flow opening and particles of that size and below will continue circulating thru the fluid being filtered. If oversized particles try to pass they will stick between the plates before reaching the flow passage and will be stopped. Spacing ranges from .0015 on the best series and .003 up thru .015 on another series. .0015 = 33 microns and .003 = 66 microns and it goes up from there with .015 = 381 microns. That would be the range of particles trapped. The conventional paper oil filters trap from around 30 microns down according to some spec sites.

Not sure how good it would be for modern auto use and the stated uses really don't mention autos other than the catch all "lubricating oils" phrase. Back in the day it would obviously be better than no filter at all or possibly some of the other contraptions used back then -- fine meshes, cotton wadding, and IIRC, even some kind of centrifugal device. I gather the modern item is more for cleaning larger particles out of fuel oil for furnaces, particles out of cutting oil in machining operations and the like.

When it comes time to clean, the handle is rotated which moves the spacers (which are actually blades) between the plates. That action causes the blades to scrape the trapped particles out from between the plates where they fall to the bottom into the sludge and then can be drained.

Some of the fuel pumps Packard used have a stacked plate arrangement for catching rust particles but those don't auto clean. You have to remove the bowl and unscrew the plates to clean them.

Posted on: 2017/6/12 23:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Now I understand. Thank you HH56! I'm thinking of using it on my '30 Packard, while of course changing the oil at frequent intervals as well. Sounds like it would work as well as a Purolator of the time.

Posted on: 2017/6/13 14:52
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
I remember reading a old motors manual late thirties or forties about this type of filter. My dad had one which he installed on one of his cars. Told me the Navy used them on bearing system during the WW2. I remember him taking it apart to clean out the dirt and stuff that settled in the bottom.

Posted on: 2017/6/13 19:08
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved