Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 219

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1946-47 Shop Manual?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
Did Packard ever publish a shop manual for the 1946-47 Clippers? I have two copies of the 1946-1950 manual (eight sections), but it covers the 22nd and 23rd Series with little or no help given to the 21st Series Clippers.

I have a copy of the 1941-1947 Clipper Master Parts Book, and it seems logical that Packard would have published the companion shop manual at the same time. So far I've had no luck finding it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve in Indiana

Posted on: 2017/6/21 9:19
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Re: 1946-47 Shop Manual?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have never seen a separate 46-7 service manual. On the one listed for 46-50, other than the topics were in individual bound sections originally, Bob Neal said the first of those was issued in 1947 with the 22nd series introduction so not truly for the 21st series. The separate volumes have all been consolidated into a single large volume with the reprints. The electrical was the one item never covered with any manual AFAIK. Faxon Auto Literature sells a large 8 1/2 x 11 reprint of the smaller manual.

Aside from the bodies, all Clippers were very similar mechanically to the prewar conventional cars so most mechanical would be covered in the 41 and 42 manuals -- such as they were. They did issue a few pages noting detail of body differences with the Clipper vs conventional bodies.

With postwar Clippers about the same mechanically as prewars (with the major exception being the Electromatic Clutch) and 48-50 cars being basically facelifted Clippers and again so similar mechanically, those manuals will cover and expand on the prewar info. The six and 282 eight motor was eliminated for 48-50 passenger models but is covered in the manual. Some body and trim items such as door latches are different but not much else is and even most of the removal procedures given for those different items are applicable to earlier models.

Posted on: 2017/6/21 10:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The six was continued into the 22nd series but not marketed to the US general public.

Posted on: 2017/6/21 10:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Aside from the bodies, all Clippers were very similar mechanically to the prewar conventional cars

Front suspension and steering a notable exception.

Posted on: 2017/6/21 10:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Aside from the bodies, all Clippers were very similar mechanically to the prewar conventional cars

Front suspension and steering a notable exception.

Very true and how could I have forgotten that. Suspension and steering is the subject of almost an entire 41 training filmstrip on how to service the Clipper. That was film 2 of 1941 volume 5 filmstrips. It would be nice to have a list of the other 41 and later (if any) topics. Perhaps those filmstrips were used in lieu of service manuals.

Posted on: 2017/6/21 10:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved