Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 150

kevinpackard, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

41 Super 8 differential leak
Just popping in
Just popping in

Neil's1937
See User information
Hi all,
I have read many articles regarding pinion seal and carrier bolt hole leaks. None of those issues, but my differential has a leak from the ring gear support roller adjustment shaft. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this. Any luck stopping the leak w/o removing carrier from housing?

Neil

Posted on: 2017/12/6 17:25
 Top  Print   

Re: 41 Super 8 differential leak
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wow, that's a new one on me. I've owned a number of cars with that differential feature, and have serviced several others. And I've never seen or heard of any leaks at that point so it will be especially interesting to see what comments come forth on this!

Posted on: 2017/12/6 18:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I think the ring gear support roller adjustment shaft is suppose to be above the fill level, so is it at the correct level? Also I copied and posted below the only thing I could find that Packard says about general leaks.
Hope this helps.
Wes

Attach file:

png  (295.42 KB)
1003_5a28abf54800f.png 1025X879 px

Posted on: 2017/12/6 21:48
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Neil's1937
See User information
Hi Wes,

The vent is clean and unfortunately the adjustment shaft is about 1" below the fill level plug! Now oil level is slightly below plug opening.

This morning I removed the "keeper"with curved slot that is held by a 5/16x1/2" long bolt and discovered 2 leaks- around the bolt and around the shaft. The locknut on the shaft was not tight.
Also a diagram in the 41 shop manual shows a blind hole for the 5/16" bolt. But it is clearly drilled through as gear oil flows with bolt removed.

So now everything is put back together. I rotated shaft clockwise until it stopped then backed off a few degrees then snugged locknut. Bolt is coated with teflon thread sealer.
Time will tell if leaks are fixed but I have no idea if the support roller has proper .005" clearance.
Not too thrilled about pulling axle shafts and removing differential.

Neil

Posted on: 2017/12/7 10:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What about a fiber washer or maybe oil resistant RTV on the threads at the entrance to the case so the material would form a gasket..

Posted on: 2017/12/7 10:33
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I have no idea if the support roller has proper .005" clearance.

Unless your car is doing extreme duty like pulling heavy loads, I wouldn't worry about it, that adjustment has pretty much been ignored (if even recognized) by many owners for decades without reports of problems. And the more junior differentials never had the adjustment in the first place.

Posted on: 2017/12/7 11:22
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved