Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 205

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Exhaust Manifold Paint
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
I'm still working on detailing the engine compartment of my 1949 Deluxe Eight, and wondering whether anyone has found a black paint that looks nice on an exhaust manifold and will stay there for a while. I don't want to take the manifold set off if I can avoid it.

Thanks,

Steve

Posted on: 2018/4/4 15:27
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Re: Exhaust Manifold Paint
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you want it to look correct, it should NOT be black. As delivered they were just naked cast iron and there are several paints that do a great job of maintaining that fresh gray cast iron appearance, Eastwood has one that I can recommend and I'm sure others will have suggestions as well.

Posted on: 2018/4/4 15:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
Thanks for the tip. I learn a lot on this site. I'll check it out.

Posted on: 2018/4/4 19:34
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
The POR-15 manifold grey is also very good, but would require removing the manifolds for prep.
Here is a link to a picture where you can see my intake/exhaust manifolds.
manifolds on my car

I've only been driving my car 1 year with the paint, but it has survived some long autobahn trips at high ambient temperatures.

Posted on: 2018/4/5 4:09
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve Henderson
See User information
Thanks for the info and pictures. I already ordered the Eastwood product, hoping to get the manifold coated without removing it.

Posted on: 2018/4/7 2:33
Steve in Indiana

1949 Deluxe Eight Sedan
1955 400 Hardtop
1956 400 Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With some patience you should be able to do a decent job painting the exhaust manifold. The cleaner you get it first (like any paint job), the longer-lasting will be the result. You certainly want it free of grease and oil, and for rusty areas you might try wire-brushing. There are some nice little wire brushes about the size and shape of tooth brushes which work nicely in smaller areas. I did the exhaust manifolds on my '56 Caribbean with the Eastwood product, after 5 years or so they still looked great and even after more than 10 years they look presentable- I've occasionally touched up a few spots. Good luck with it!

Posted on: 2018/4/7 9:43
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved